Light Yoghurt & Freekeh Soup
By yasmine • May 26, 2015
This light yoghurt & freekeh soup reminds me of my childhood. (That one and the Harira Soup). I remember how my family used to gather around it in Ramadan while listening to the radio riddle at Iftar. Until today it still warms my heart with its creaminess and smooth taste and I cannot enjoy Ramadan without having it at least 5 times – in my home, at my sister’s or my mum’s. We take turns on making it! While I put so much passion to perfect it, I never enjoy my own like I do theirs!
- 2 small pack yoghurt (about 220 grams) - زبادي
- 1 egg - بيضة
- 2 tablespoon butter (OR olive oil) - زبدة
- 3 cup chicken broth/stock - مرقة دجاج
- 1 onion (diced) - بصلة
- 2 garlic clove (minced) - فص ثوم
- 2 piece mastic / mesteka - مستكة
- 2 stem celery (finely chopped including leaves) - كرفس افرنجي
- 1/2 cup freekeh - فريك
- salt and pepper - ملح و فلفل
- 1 tablespoon dried mint (for garnish) - نعناع مجفف/ ناشف
Step by step
- In a large soup pot, melt the butter and add the onions. Cook the onions until translucent (about 7 minutes) then add the garlic, celery and mastic along with some salt and pepper.
- Stir in the freekeh, then add hot chicken broth. As soon as it boils, put the heat down, cover and let it simmer until freekeh is cooked (about 20 minutes).
- In the meantime, stir egg with yoghurt until smooth and well integrated.
- Before adding the yoghurt mixture to the soup, add a little hot soup to the yoghurt mix to warm it. This is done mainly to avoid the room temperature yoghurt from splitting when hit with the hot soup. When you feel the yoghurt has warmed, add it confidently to the rest of the soup.
- Let it simmer for another 3 minutes until the egg cooks. Sprinkle some dry mint and serve hot.
Chicken Salad Sandwich with Dried Cranberries
For a hassle-free morning, prepare this creamy chicken-salad sandwich filler one day in advance...
Turmeric Basmati Rice
Yellow turmeric rice is the perfect companion to all curry dishes! I also like to serve it with...
Kids Tomato Pasta Sauce with Secret Ingredients
Who said pasta cannot be healthy? With fresh ripe tomatoes, hidden onions, carrots, zucchini,...
Chicken Waldorf salad
This no-mayo Chicken Waldorf Salad is light, delicious and so refreshing… It is also the perfect way to use leftover chicken! The classic American salad uses fresh red grapes, but we love using dried cranberries instead.
Yummy Oat Pancakes served with dates and bananas, and generously drizzled with a tahini-molasses syrup… this is a healthy and nutritious way to start your day.
Chicken Liver with Spinach & Chickpeas
This Chicken Liver with Spinach is a one pot main dish prepared in less than 45 minutes yet so good and hearty. It is the sort of dish that brings the family together over a nutritious meal and leaves everyone feeling great after. At CairoCooking, we are all about one pot, easy, nutritious and oh […]
Warm Chestnut Soup with Garlic Breadcrumbs
I tried the chestnut soup in London back in 2013 and ever since then I wanted to prepare it myself and I just did this winter. It turned out super warm and yummy. The original recipe ingredients includes cream, I used skimmed milk instead and it still turned out creamy since chestnuts are already somewhat fatty. You can also […]