Farmer’s Brunch Omelet
By yasmine • May 17, 2015
Last time I was visiting Germany, I ate this amazing Bauernkartoffeleier – an omelet specialty of Bavaria, the southern region of Germany. It was such a wholesome meal, that I decided to duplicate at home since it seemed so easy and delicious for a Friday brunch or just a regular family breakfast or dinner. It can be tweaked with onions and tomatoes – but I decided to share the basic one I tasted and loved! As most German cooking, this omelet has bacon bits – so I replaced it with beef bacon or any salami you like. You can also replace the chive with minced parsley.
- 6 eggs - بيض
- 1/2 cup cooking cream - كريم الطهي
- 1 tablespoon water - ماء
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese (grated) - جبنة بارميزان
- drop Tabasco (optional) - صوص تباسكو
- 1 tablespoon butter - زبدة
- 1 tablespoon olive oil - زيت زيتون
- 1 potatoes (peeled and thinly sliced) - بطاطس
- 50 gram salami (OR beef bacon OR turkey bacon - diced) - سالامي
- 2 tablespoon chives (chopped) - ورق بصل
- pinch black pepper - فلفل أسود
Step by step
- Melt the butter then add the olive oil into a large pan. Fry the potato slices on medium heat for 10 minutes or until one side is golden.
- In the meantime, mix the eggs with the cream, water, parmesan and Tabasco in a medium bowl. If you won’t use Parmesan, make sure you add a good pinch of salt.
- Add the bacon bits to the potato to fry for a minute and flip the potato slices so you can see the golden side. Make sure to spread the potatoes to one layer before you add the egg mix.
- Make sure the egg mix is spread all over the pan in a thin layer and the potato slices are well distributed in between.
- Add fresh pepper as it cooks then add the minced chives 2 minutes before you take it off the heat (it should take 10 minutes all in all).
- You can serve it once it is cooked or you can flip the omelet on the other side for a minute before doing so – the chives will get a bit of colour.
- Serve with the chives and golden potato side up to show off the beautiful color of the combination.
Sweet Pumpkin Béchamel
الوصفة بالعربي No matter how many pumpkin recipes we try, the Egyptian traditional...
Smoked Salmon, Radish & Avocado Salad
Some delicious dishes are just too easy to prepare, like this family favorite Salmon & Avocado...
Eggplant & Shrimp Farfalle
This recipe is an entry to #MyBestDish competition in collaboration with Easy-Pan.com. Easy and...
Dried Fruits Crumble
Here is a Dried Fruits Crumble that can be served as dessert with ice cream, a brunch dish, a winter warmer or an addition to your yoghurt. It is infused with tea, preferably Earl Grey, and the nutty crumble topping spiced with cinnamon. It is a great dish for Ramadan Sohour as well where we […]
Spiced Potato & Peas
This spiced potato and peas recipe is the perfect side dish for any protein. It is filling, heartwarming and deliciously spiced, your family and friends will definitely be taking seconds.
Green Falafel Omelette
Falafel Omelette is an easy, nutritious and delicious breakfast/ brunch idea for those who want a filling healthy meal without the bread. This is a childhood recipe and it’s so close to my heart because I learned it from my grandmother. I use homemade Falafel Dough (Ta3meyya) that I prepare and freeze in batches because I […]
Cheat Zaatar Mana’ish
We like to call it ‘cheat’ Mana’ish because this is definitely not the original recipe, however it is a super quick hassle-free variation without compromising on the delicious flavours… The dough does not need any resting time. Just bring it together, roll it out into your favourite shape and size, add your favourite topping and […]