Hearty Harira Soup
By yasmine • May 17, 2015
My parents lived in Algeria for a year before I was born. There, my mum learned a couple of signature recipes that she made her own and these became a tradition (especially in Ramadan) on our dinner table – like Boreik (coming soon) and Warm Yoghurt Soup. This hearty and filling soup is one of those recipes she learned and simplified to match her speedy lifestyle without compromising on its deliciousness.
Note: The onions should be really browned so the meat also takes on a brownish colour from the onions! You can leave out hummus or substitute farro with noodles if you don’t have any.
- 500 gram beef رقبة بتلو - لحمة
- 1 tablespoon butter - زبدة
- 2 onions (minced) - بصل
- 2 piece mastic / mesteka - مستكة
- 3 piece cardamom - حبهان
- 2 liter boiling water - ماء ساخن
- 2 tablespoon tomato paste - معجون طماطم / صلصة طماطم
- 1/2 cup celery (chopped white & green) - كرفس افرنجي
- 1 cup freekeh - فريك
- 1/2 cup hummus (or one small can - optional) - حمص
- green chili pepper (or red chili pepper) - فلفل أخضر حار
- salt and pepper - ملح و فلفل
Step by step
- Melt the butter on medium heat, add mesteka and onions and let it fry until browned.
- Add meat pieces and fry for 15 to 20 minutes while adding salt and pepper and stirring occasionally.
- When the meat is browned, add 1 liter boiling water or just enough to cover the meat. Reduce heat, cover and let it cook further for one hour.
- As soon as meat is tender, add the tomato paste and let it thicken for another 10 minutes (at that point you will see the fat separating from the sauce – meaning metsabeka).
- Add the rest of the water, chilli as desired, farro, hummus and celery and let it cook for another 15 minutes.
- Once all the ingredients are cooked through, the soup is ready. Before serving, remove the chilli and sprinkle a handful of dried mint on top for garnish and a special kick.
Grilled Veggies & Goat Cheese Salad with Pomegranate Dressing
Nutrient-dense and antioxidant-rich delicious salad with a mix of grilled vegetables,...
Orzo & Vegetables Salad
This Orzo Salad is super simple yet delicious and filling. It is perfect for the lunchbox (with or...
4-Ingredients Caramel Chocolate Bites
These Caramel Chocolate Bites are refined sugar-free and vegan (if using vegan dark...
One Pot Chicken Freekeh
A one-pot meal, this chicken freekeh will be your favourite go to when you want a hearty and delicious meal the whole family will enjoy. You can also serve it in a gathering since it looks lovely in a big dish. Heartwarming, wholesome and delicious the Chicken Freekeh is definitely
Traditional Beef & Vegetables Soup
This traditional Beef & Vegetables Soup is not only colourful and delicious, butt it’s also nutrient-dense and a great choice for strong immunity. It’s all you need on cold winter days and when you’re feeling under the weather. It also makes a great Ramadan soup, and can be extra filling with added freekeh just like […]
Chicken & Chickpea Fatta
Flavourful chicken slices and lemony chickpeas are served over a bed of sumac-seasoned crispy bread and covered with a rich garlicky yoghurt-tahini sauce. This is an easy yet super tasty version of everyone’s favourite fatta. For best results, make sure the yoghurt is at room temperature before assembling the dish. This will ensure that the […]
Chicken Liver with Spinach & Chickpeas
This Chicken Liver with Spinach is a one pot main dish prepared in less than 45 minutes yet so good and hearty. It is the sort of dish that brings the family together over a nutritious meal and leaves everyone feeling great after. At CairoCooking, we are all about one pot, easy, nutritious and oh […]
Leave a comment