Classic 1-2-3-4 Marble Cake
By shahdan • April 14, 2020
Classic 1-2-3-4 cake is the first cake I learned to bake with my mother. As a child, I really appreciated the fact that the cake name helped me memorise and learn the basic cake proportions by heart: ONE for 1 cup milk and 1 cup butter, TWO for 2 cups sugar, THREE for 3 cups flour, and FOUR for 4 eggs. Then of course the baking powder and vanilla.
I have baked this cake countless times. Sometimes I bake the full quantity for a big round cake, while other times I halve the quantities for the long rectangular cake shape, as shown in this picture.
I have also realised that the cake is lighter and less dense when I use half cup butter (100g), and half cup sunflower oil, as opposed to one full cup butter.
- 1/2 cup butter softened (about 100g) - زبدة
- 1/2 cup sunflower oil - زيت عباد الشمس
- 2 cup sugar - سكر
- 4 large eggs - بيض
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract (or 2 small packs) - خلاصة الفانيليا
- 1 cup full cream milk - لبن كامل الدسم
- 3 cup flour - دقيق
- 1 tablespoon baking powder - باكينج باودر
- 4 tablespoon cocoa powder - بودرة كاكاو
Step by step
- Preheat oven to 180C. Grease the baking pan with butter and lightly dust with flour.
- In a bowl, beat the butter and oil with the sugar until fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time and whisk after each egg.
- Add the vanilla and milk and continue whisking.
- Mix flour with the baking powder and add gradually to the cake while whisking until batter is well-combined. Always whisk in one direction to get the air in.
- Pour only 2/3 of the batter in the prepared pan.
- Add cocoa to the remaining batter in the bowl and whisk until well-combined.
- Swirl the remaining chocolate batter over the vanilla. Use a knife to create more swirls in the batter for the marble effect.
- Bake for 40- 50 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean. If you are halving the cake quantities for a smaller cake, it will only need 20-30 minutes in the oven.
Smoked Salmon, Radish & Avocado Salad
Some delicious dishes are just too easy to prepare, like this family favorite Salmon & Avocado...
Duck & Rice Beraam
الوصفة بالعربي Rice “beraam” with meat or poultry is very famous in the Egyptian...
Traditional Rice Me'ammar is always a great crowd pleaser on the table. It is creamy, delicious and...
Chocolate Peanut Butter Rice Cakes
Talk about a pick me up snack or a breakfast cookie that keeps you full and satisfies your sugar tooth, this chocolate peanut butter rice cake is what you mean! Crispy, with a creamy naturally sweetened center (banana-sweetened!) and a chocolate cover with a sprinkle of sea salt…delicious and comforting is an understatement. […]
Yummy Oat Pancakes served with dates and bananas, and generously drizzled with a tahini-molasses syrup… this is a healthy and nutritious way to start your day.
Tahini & Banana Chocolate Muffins
Perfect for our daily chocolate cravings, these (refined-sugar-free) Tahini & Banana Chocolate Muffins are not only moist and rich, but they also carry lots of clean & healthy ingredients inside them. They make the perfect snack for grown-ups and kids alike. This recipe is super easy to prepare, because all the ingredients are simply mixed […]
Some recipes are good to know by heart, like this Classic Crepe. It comes in handy in the weekends and school holidays when you want to prepare a fun breakfast for the family. Fillings are a personal choice and the options are endless. For sweet crepe, these can be served with sugar, jam, Nutella, or […]