Stir-Fried Garlic & Ginger Bok Choy
By yasmine • March 29, 2015
Bok Choi to me was a scary cabbage that I didn’t know how to use or add to my salads since it has this tangy bitter taste – however discovering that it is a nutritious Asian ingredient – I learned that I can just incorporate it in any Asian chicken or barbecue meat dish or as a side dish and be confident it is a great addition in colour, texture and nutritional value! It is a great source of anti-oxidant, Vitamin A and Vitamin C with less than 13 calories per 100g.
Note that stir-frying lettuce decreases the amount significantly since it looses all the water and the natural curve of the green.
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil (OR olive oil) - زيت السمسم
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger (chopped) - جنزبيل
- 3 garlic cloves (minced) - فصوص ثوم
- 1–2 teaspoon red chili pepper (chopped) - فلفل أحمر حار
- 1 tablespoon green onion (chopped - optional) - بصل أخضر
- 4 cup bok choy (cut in large chunks) - الملفوف الصيني / باك تشوي
- 2 tablespoon soy sauce - صوص الصويا
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce - صوص السمك التايلاندي
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar - سكر بني
- black pepper - فلفل أسود
Step by step
- Heat the oil and throw in the ginger, garlic, red chilli peppers and green onions. Let them sizzle for 5 minutes then add the bok choy.
- Stir the mix thoroughly until the bok choy starts darkening, add the soy and fish sauce followed by brown sugar and give it another stir until sugar melts in the mix.
- Take it off the heat – make sure the bok choy stems still have a mild crunch and still light green. Serve the whole mix (including ginger & chili) in a small bowl and grind some fresh black pepper on top.
- You can also add some toasted sesame or cashews at the end before taking it off the stove for a nutty crunch.
Fresh Guava & Pomegranate Dessert
الوصفة بالعربي This fruit dessert is a simple family favourite celebrating the...
Avocado Orange Green Salad
This Avocado Orange Green Salad is a refreshing summer salad - great for avocado season! The...
Minted Zucchini Soup
الوصفة بالعربي Even those who don't eat zucchini, will fall in love with this...
Chocolate Peanut Butter Rice Cakes
Talk about a pick me up snack or a breakfast cookie that keeps you full and satisfies your sugar tooth, this chocolate peanut butter rice cake is what you mean! Crispy, with a creamy naturally sweetened center (banana-sweetened!) and a chocolate cover with a sprinkle of sea salt…delicious and comforting is an understatement. […]
Dried Fruits Crumble
Here is a Dried Fruits Crumble that can be served as dessert with ice cream, a brunch dish, a winter warmer or an addition to your yoghurt. It is infused with tea, preferably Earl Grey, and the nutty crumble topping spiced with cinnamon. It is a great dish for Ramadan Sohour as well where we […]
White Beans with Zucchini and Spinach
This White Beans with Zucchini and Spinach recipe is so simple, yet so delicious! White beans cooked in broth, garlic and lime juice make for one tasty side dish. Perfect for mid-week meals and even cold for breakfast!