Brown Rice Mujaddara
By yasmine • May 17, 2019
A wholesome comfort dish from the Levant, this Rice Mujaddara is vegan, full of protein and definite winner for any family meal.
We used brown rice instead of regular, to heighten its nutritional value and it turned out incredibly tasty with the earthy flavors of the lentils.
Serve it with a simple green salad with added radish and mint – like this one.
- 1 cup basmati brown rice - أرز بسمتى بنى
- 1.5 brown lentils - عدس بني
- 4 tablespoons olive oil (divided)) - زيت زيتون
- 4 onions (1 diced + 3 sliced) - بصل
- 2 bay leaves - ورق لاورا
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin - كمون
- 1 cinnamon sticks - عيدان قرفة
- salt and pepper - ملح و فلفل
- 2 cup hot water (you can also use broth) - ماء ساخن
- 2 tablespoon parsley (finely chopped) - بقدونس
- 1 tablespoon mint (finely chopped - optional) - نعناع
Step by step
- Wash basmati brown rice under running water then soak it in water for only 30 minutes.
- In the meantime, wash the lentils under running water and place them in a small pot covered with water. Bring it to the boil, then lower heat to a simmer and cover. Let it cook for only 10 minutes.
- In larger pot, heat olive oil and fry diced onions until golden. Add bay leaves, cumin and cinnamon stick followed by the drained rice.
- Stir to cover the rice with the oil and spices then add the drained half-cooked lentils, followed by 2 cups of hot water. Season with salt and pepper.
- As it comes to a boil, lower heat and cover. Let it simmer for 25 minutes until cooked through.
- In the meantime, heat two tablespoons olive oil in large pan. Add sliced onions, salt and pepper and stir occasionally for 30 minutes until onions are browned and caramelized.
- As the rice lentil mix is cooked-through, stir in half the fried onions and keep the rest for garnish.
- Serve in a bowl, and garnish with the chopped parsley and mint. Consider preparing a simple tomato-cucumber salad next to it.
Freekeh Vegetable Soup
The Freekeh Vegetable Soup is healthy, filling and delicious. Freekeh is full of nutritious...
Garlic & Vinegar Slow-Cooked Lamb: Lamb Vindaloo
This recipe is an entry to the #TheMeatCompete challenge which closes Dec 5, 2015. Click here to...
Spring Vegetable Frittata
When you are bored of the daily cooking, Frittata is the answer. It is an Italian omelette that is...
Chocolate Peanut Butter Rice Cakes
Talk about a pick me up snack or a breakfast cookie that keeps you full and satisfies your sugar tooth, this chocolate peanut butter rice cake is what you mean! Crispy, with a creamy naturally sweetened center (banana-sweetened!) and a chocolate cover with a sprinkle of sea salt…delicious and comforting is an understatement. […]
Dried Fruits Crumble
Here is a Dried Fruits Crumble that can be served as dessert with ice cream, a brunch dish, a winter warmer or an addition to your yoghurt. It is infused with tea, preferably Earl Grey, and the nutty crumble topping spiced with cinnamon. It is a great dish for Ramadan Sohour as well where we […]
White Beans with Zucchini and Spinach
This White Beans with Zucchini and Spinach recipe is so simple, yet so delicious! White beans cooked in broth, garlic and lime juice make for one tasty side dish. Perfect for mid-week meals and even cold for breakfast!