Greek Chicken Souvlaki & Tzatziki
By shahdan • May 16, 2019
Chicken Souvlaki is the famous street food from Greece, where marinated chicken cubes are grilled on skewers and served with Tzatziki (yoghurt and cucumber dip) . Unlike our Middle Eastern Shish Tawook, made with chicken thighs, Souvlaki uses boneless chicken breasts. The marinade is also much simpler than the Middle Eastern Shish Tawook, yet zingy and extremely flavourful.
This is a clean & healthy meal that is so quick and easy to cook and enjoy at home. Serve it with Tzatziki, flat bread, olives, and a Greek Salad to enjoy a full Greek authentic meal in the comfort of your own home.
- 1 kg chicken breast fillet (cut in cubes) - صدور فيليه الدجاج
- 1/4 cup olive oil (plus an extra drizzle for the pan) - زيت زيتون
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice - عصير ليمون
- 1 tablespoon vinegar - خل
- 11/2 tablespoon oregano (dry) - أوريجانو/ زعتر
- 3 large garlic cloves (minced) - فصوص ثوم
- salt and pepper - ملح و فلفل
- For the Tzatziki - الزبادي بالخيار
- 300 gram yoghurt (preferably Greek yoghurt) - زبادي
- 2 medium cucumber - خيار
- 1 medium garlic clove (grated) - فص ثوم
- 1 drizzle olive oil - زيت زيتون
- 1/4 teaspoon dried mint (optional) - نعناع مجفف/ ناشف
- salt (to taste) - ملح
Step by step
- Mix all ingredient together and pour over chicken. Cover and leave to marinate in the fridge for at least one hour.
- Soak wooden skewers (if using any) in water for 30 minutes (to prevent them from burning while cooking).
- Thread the chicken pieces on the skewers.
- Heat a pan/griddle pan. Add a drizzle olive oil and arrange chicken when the pan is very hot to get a nice golden colour on the chicken. Don't rush to turn them, give them a good 4-5 minutes before you start turning them to the other sides. Lower heat to medium half way through if needed.
- Make sure the chicken is cooked through by cutting through one of the thickest pieces to make sure its not pink inside.
- To prepare the Tzatziki, grate the cucumber and sprinkle it with some salt. Place it in a sieve and squeeze out its juices by pressing on the cucumber with the back of a spoon. Discard the cucumber water.
- In a bowl mix yoghurt with grated cucumber, garlic, mint, salt, and a drizzle of olive oil. Transfer to serving bowl
- Serve chicken on a large platter with a bowl of Tzatziki, flat bread, salad and olives.
There is no other name for it! No dictionary has been able to translate this succulent sweet...
Peanut Butter & Coloured Peppers Baladi Wrap
The sweetness of coloured peppers with the saltines of this guiltfree all natural peanut butter...
Broccoli & Basil Soup
This good-for-you Green Broccoli and Basil soup is creamy and delicious without the need to add any...
Chocolate Peanut Butter Rice Cakes
Talk about a pick me up snack or a breakfast cookie that keeps you full and satisfies your sugar tooth, this chocolate peanut butter rice cake is what you mean! Crispy, with a creamy naturally sweetened center (banana-sweetened!) and a chocolate cover with a sprinkle of sea salt…delicious and comforting is an understatement. […]
Dried Fruits Crumble
Here is a Dried Fruits Crumble that can be served as dessert with ice cream, a brunch dish, a winter warmer or an addition to your yoghurt. It is infused with tea, preferably Earl Grey, and the nutty crumble topping spiced with cinnamon. It is a great dish for Ramadan Sohour as well where we […]
White Beans with Zucchini and Spinach
This White Beans with Zucchini and Spinach recipe is so simple, yet so delicious! White beans cooked in broth, garlic and lime juice make for one tasty side dish. Perfect for mid-week meals and even cold for breakfast!