Warm Freekeh Eggplant Salad
By Shewekar Elgharably • April 14, 2015
Who knew the combination of freekeh and eggplants can be so hearty? The Warm Freekeh Eggplant Salad is a side dish that will definitely go on your everyday list! It is also an amazing brunch addition and lunchbox favorite.
Recipe by: Shewekar Elgharably from her article with www.cairocooking.com
- 1 tablespoon olive oil - زيت زيتون
- 1 cup freekeh - فريك
- 1 large eggplant (sliced into cubes) - باذنجان رومي
- 1 small red onion (thinly sliced) - بصلة حمراء
- 3 tablespoon olive oil - زيت زيتون
- 2 cup chicken broth/stock - مرقة دجاج
- 1/2 cup pomegranate seeds - بذور رمان
- 1/4 cup pine nuts toasted - صنوبر
- 1 cup parsley (finely chopped) - بقدونس
- 1 drizzle pomegranate molasses - دبس رمان
- salt and pepper - ملح و فلفل
Step by step
- Heat olive oil in a rice pot and sauté sliced onion until soft.
- Add one cup freekeh to the onion then pour the stock over the freekeh. Season with salt and pepper.
- Bring it to a boil then reduce heat and leave to simmer until cooked and stock is absorbed.
- In the meantime, rub eggplant cubes with olive oil, salt and pepper then put it in a 180C oven for 20-25 minutes until roasted.
- Mix cooled freekeh with eggplant cubes, pomegranate seeds, toasted pine nuts and chopped parsley.
- Drizzle pomegranate molasses on top. Serve warm or cold.
Once you make your own foul at home, you will never go back to the canned stuff again! Even the...
Vietnamese Spring Vegetables Soft Rolls
This is the ultimate summer appetiser! Full of crunch and freshness and oh so good for you. You can...
Kitchari is India's detox meal. The classic recipe is cooked with rice. In this recipe, rice is...
Dried Fruits Crumble
Here is a Dried Fruits Crumble that can be served as dessert with ice cream, a brunch dish, a winter warmer or an addition to your yoghurt. It is infused with tea, preferably Earl Grey, and the nutty crumble topping spiced with cinnamon. It is a great dish for Ramadan Sohour as well where we […]
Spiced Potato & Peas
This spiced potato and peas recipe is the perfect side dish for any protein. It is filling, heartwarming and deliciously spiced, your family and friends will definitely be taking seconds.
Green Falafel Omelette
Falafel Omelette is an easy, nutritious and delicious breakfast/ brunch idea for those who want a filling healthy meal without the bread. This is a childhood recipe and it’s so close to my heart because I learned it from my grandmother. I use homemade Falafel Dough (Ta3meyya) that I prepare and freeze in batches because I […]
Cheat Zaatar Mana’ish
We like to call it ‘cheat’ Mana’ish because this is definitely not the original recipe, however it is a super quick hassle-free variation without compromising on the delicious flavours… The dough does not need any resting time. Just bring it together, roll it out into your favourite shape and size, add your favourite topping and […]