By Nelly Abuarqub • December 27, 2015
A sweet and juicy bread base is covered with a thick layer of creamy milk pudding, flavoured with traditional Middle Eastern aromas and topped with luscious green pistachios. The textures and flavours in this dessert will leave you drooling! A must-try!
This dessert is from Nelly Abuarqub’s kitchen. After serving her very special traditional Palestinian Maklouba (find the recipe here), this is the dessert that she surprised us with. We could not resist asking for the recipe. It is very easy to prepare and is an absolutely delicious dessert on your table.
For best results, prepare it one day in advance! (Which makes it a great option for big dinner parties, when you need to focus on lots of other dishes on the day!) You will need a large Pyrex, 35 x25 cm.
- 1 liter milk (4 cups) - لبن
- 4 tablespoon sugar - سكر
- 4 tablespoon corn flour - نشا
- 2 small mastic / mesteka (crushed) - مستكة
- 2 tablespoon rose water - ماء الورد
- 2 tablespoon Orange Blossom Water - ماء الزهر
- 170 gram cream (recommended: can of Puck cream) - قشطة
- 10-12 slice toast (edges removed) - توست
- 1 handful pistachios (to garnish) - فستق
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon powder (optional) - قرفة
- 2 cup sugar - سكر
- 1 cup water - ماء
Step by step
- Toast white toast slices (after you trim the edges) on both sides until golden in an oven. Then arrange it in the pyrex, making sure all base is completely covered with one layer of toast.
- To prepare the syrup, heat sugar and water on medium heat. When it boils, lower the heat and leave to simmer for about 15 minutes until slightly thickened. Stir occasionally to make sure the sugar does not stick on the sides of the pot and burn. Turn off the heat and set aside for 5 minutes so it's not too hot to handle.
- Using a ladle, carefully spoon the warm syrup over the toast, making sure all pieces absorb the syrup evenly. Set aside.
- In a pot, whisk the corn flour with the cold milk making sure the corn flour dissolves. Stir in sugar and mastic (off the heat).
- Place the pot on low/medium heat and stir continuously (so it doesn't stick in the bottom of pot and burn) until the milk thickens. You need the consistency of milk pudding (mehallabeyya). This should take about 15 minutes.
- Turn off the heat then add rose water, orange blossom water, and cream. Stir until the cream dissolves, then pour it over the toast in the pyrex (making sure it is evenly distributed).
- Leave to cool, then put the pyrex in the fridge for a couple of hours. For best results, leave it in the fridge overnight.
- Sprinkle with crushed pistachios and a little cinnamon (optional) and serve cold.
Mongolian Beef Strips
The Mongolian Beef Strips dish is a favorite at any Chinese restaurant. This is a simplified recipe...
Light One-Pot Okra
This is the vegan version of my mother's 'nayy fe nayy bamia'. While she uses stock, I like to...
Creamy Broccoli Cauliflower Bake
From 9 months. This is a perfect broccoli - cauliflower mix recipe to introduce your baby to...
Chocolate Peanut Butter Rice Cakes
Talk about a pick me up snack or a breakfast cookie that keeps you full and satisfies your sugar tooth, this chocolate peanut butter rice cake is what you mean! Crispy, with a creamy naturally sweetened center (banana-sweetened!) and a chocolate cover with a sprinkle of sea salt…delicious and comforting is an understatement. […]
Dried Fruits Crumble
Here is a Dried Fruits Crumble that can be served as dessert with ice cream, a brunch dish, a winter warmer or an addition to your yoghurt. It is infused with tea, preferably Earl Grey, and the nutty crumble topping spiced with cinnamon. It is a great dish for Ramadan Sohour as well where we […]
Classic 1-2-3-4 Marble Cake
Classic 1-2-3-4 cake is the first cake I learned to bake with my mother. As a child, I really appreciated the fact that the cake name helped me memorise and learn the basic cake proportions by heart: ONE for 1 cup milk and 1 cup butter, TWO for 2 cups sugar, THREE for 3 cups […]
Tahini & Banana Chocolate Muffins
Perfect for our daily chocolate cravings, these (refined-sugar-free) Tahini & Banana Chocolate Muffins are not only moist and rich, but they also carry lots of clean & healthy ingredients inside them. They make the perfect snack for grown-ups and kids alike. This recipe is super easy to prepare, because all the ingredients are simply mixed […]