Vegan Yellow Lentils
By shahdan • January 27, 2016
Made from very simple ingredients, the vegan yellow lentils dish is super nutritious without compromising on taste. With lots of hidden veggies, it is delicious and comforting when served warm, and absolutely yummy when served as a cold dip with wholesome baladi bread!
- 2 tablespoon olive oil - زيت زيتون
- 1 large onion - بصلة
- 3 medium garlic clove (minced) - فص ثوم
- 2 medium carrots (grated) - جزر
- 2 large zucchini (grated) - كوسة
- 1 cup yellow lentils - عدس أصفر
- 2 cup water - ماء
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin - كمون
- salt and pepper (to taste) - ملح و فلفل
- 2 tablespoon coriander (finely chopped) - كزبرة
Step by step
- Heat oil in a medium pot, and sauté the onions for 5 minutes on medium heat until soft.
- Add garlic and grated carrots and zucchini. Sauté the veggies with the onions for another 3 minutes.
- Add washed lentils, 2 cups of water and the cumin.
- Cook until the water comes to a boil, then lower the heat to a minimum and cover. Let it simmer (with occasional stirring) for about 30 minutes or until the water is absorbed and lentils are soft and partly pureed. (You don't need to use a blender for this dish, it has a nice consistency on its own).
- Season with salt and pepper. Add chopped coriander, mix and transfer to serving dish. Garnish with more fresh coriander leaves. Serve warm or cold.
Mexican Chicken Fajitas
A platter of Mexican Chicken Fajitas served with tortillas, guacamole and sour cream is always a...
Fish & Vegetable Coconut Curry
This curry dish is simple and easy for everyday, yet different and impressive for bigger...
Blackeyed Peas Salad with Parsley Dressing
This Blackeyed Peas Salad is prepared using very simple everyday ingredients that come together to...
Dried Fruits Crumble
Here is a Dried Fruits Crumble that can be served as dessert with ice cream, a brunch dish, a winter warmer or an addition to your yoghurt. It is infused with tea, preferably Earl Grey, and the nutty crumble topping spiced with cinnamon. It is a great dish for Ramadan Sohour as well where we […]
Green Falafel Omelette
Falafel Omelette is an easy, nutritious and delicious breakfast/ brunch idea for those who want a filling healthy meal without the bread. This is a childhood recipe and it’s so close to my heart because I learned it from my grandmother. I use homemade Falafel Dough (Ta3meyya) that I prepare and freeze in batches because I […]
Traditional Beef & Vegetables Soup
This traditional Beef & Vegetables Soup is not only colourful and delicious, butt it’s also nutrient-dense and a great choice for strong immunity. It’s all you need on cold winter days and when you’re feeling under the weather. It also makes a great Ramadan soup, and can be extra filling with added freekeh just like […]
Chicken Liver with Spinach & Chickpeas
This Chicken Liver with Spinach is a one pot main dish prepared in less than 45 minutes yet so good and hearty. It is the sort of dish that brings the family together over a nutritious meal and leaves everyone feeling great after. At CairoCooking, we are all about one pot, easy, nutritious and oh […]