Scrumptious Homemade Pretzels
By Taymour Farid • October 29, 2015
Did you know that yummy pretzels can be baked from your leftover pizza dough? Yes – this is for real – the most delicious salty and chewy pretzels!
Recipe shared by the Farids, from their article with CairoCooking: Pizza & Pretzels: One Day, One Dough and Pure Indulgence. The leftover pizza dough was used to bake these superb pretzels. Find the pizza recipe here.
- 4 cup flour - دقيق
- 2 tablespoon dry yeast - خميرة جافة
- 350 ml water (1 1/2 cups) - ماء
- 2 teaspoon sugar - سكر
- 2 teaspoon sea salt (plus extra to sprinkle on top before baking) - ملح البحر
- 3-4 cup boiling water (enough to fill a small pot) - ماء ساخن
- 2 tablespoon baking soda - بيكربونات الصودا
- 1 medium egg - بيضة
Step by step
- Combine pizza flour, salt, yeast, and sugar in a bowl. Add water and mix with your hands until the dough comes together.
- Let the dough rest for 10 minutes then work the dough again for another 10 minutes. The dough should not be sticky and you may need to add additional flour. Divide the dough into 2 balls and transfer to sealed zipper bags in the fridge for 8- 72 hours.
- Dust your work surface with flour. Roll out the dough and stretch it all around then divide each dough into 3 equal sized dough balls. Grease 6 small bowls with oil, add one dough ball in each bowl, lightly grease it with oil and cover with cling film (plastic wrap).
- Allow to rise for 2 hours in room temperature.
- Dust a work surface with flour and work the dough into your preferred pretzel shape. Each ball will make 2 large pretzels. You can roll it into a long baton then make a simple knot.
- Add 2 tsps. baking soda in a pot with boiling water.
- Using a slotted spoon slowly drop the pretzel dough one by one in the boiling water for 30 seconds each.
- Gently remove your pretzel dough and put on a tray lined with parchment paper. Brush the pretzels with beaten egg and sprinkle with kosher salt.
- Bake in a 250 c oven for 10- 15 minutes until it’s puffed and nicely browned.
Roasted Eggplant & Labna Bruschetta
Perfect for brunch and casual gatherings, this roasted eggplant & labna bruschetta is a true...
Popcorn Granola Trailmix
Your kids will love this Popcorn Granola Trailmix in their lunchbox. It is also so nutritious and...
Quick Chicken & Broccoli Stir Fry
Transform everyday ingredients such as chicken, carrots and broccoli into an elegant and super...
Chocolate Peanut Butter Rice Cakes
Talk about a pick me up snack or a breakfast cookie that keeps you full and satisfies your sugar tooth, this chocolate peanut butter rice cake is what you mean! Crispy, with a creamy naturally sweetened center (banana-sweetened!) and a chocolate cover with a sprinkle of sea salt…delicious and comforting is an understatement. […]
Cheat Zaatar Mana’ish
We like to call it ‘cheat’ Mana’ish because this is definitely not the original recipe, however it is a super quick hassle-free variation without compromising on the delicious flavours… The dough does not need any resting time. Just bring it together, roll it out into your favourite shape and size, add your favourite topping and […]
Yummy Oat Pancakes served with dates and bananas, and generously drizzled with a tahini-molasses syrup… this is a healthy and nutritious way to start your day.
Blackeyed Peas Salad with Parsley Dressing
This Blackeyed Peas Salad is prepared using very simple everyday ingredients that come together to create a colourful and super nutritious dish. The salad dressing is blended with fresh green parsley to turn a basic sauce into a luscious creamy and full of flavour addition to your salad.