Easy Roasted Tomato & Garlic Soup
By yasmine • May 7, 2018
This is the easiest recipe to achieve a yummy Roasted Tomato & Garlic Soup. With simple ingredients and little hands-on cooking time, this recipe will probably go on your favourite recipe list.
The basil & thyme add a herb quality to the soup, but are not essential. The soup is also very yummy with or without cooking cream. So follow your preference, and this soup will always deliver love on the table.
- 1 kg tomatoes (cored & halved) - طماطم
- 100 gram cherry tomatoes - طماطم تشيري
- 8 garlic cloves (with peel) - فصوص ثوم
- salt and pepper - ملح و فلفل
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon powder - قرفة
- 3 tablespoon olive oil (divided) - زيت زيتون
- 1 large onion (diced) - بصلة
- 2 cup chicken broth/stock (OR water with bay leaf, cardamom & extra salt) - مرقة دجاج
- 1 teaspoon thyme (optional) - زعتر
- 6-8 leaves basil (finely chopped - optional) - ريحان
- 1 drizzle cooking cream (optional) - كريم الطهي
Step by step
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Core and cut tomatoes in half and place them on a shallow oven tray. Place garlic cloves with peel next to the tomatoes as well as the cherry tomatoes. Drizzle about 2 tablespoons olive oil, and sprinkle cinnamon, salt & pepper. Use your hands to distribute the oil and spices around the tomatoes. Make sure they are all placed cut side down. Place tray in the middle of the oven for 40 minutes, turning the tomatoes in the last 10 minutes and shaking the tray to finish roasting.
- When you take the oven tray out, make sure to peel the garlic cloves.
- In a large soup pot, heat olive oil and fry the diced onions until golden (about 7 minutes). Stir in the roasted tomatoes and garlic.
- Add chicken broth and hot water and let it all simmer on medium/low heat for 15 minutes. Liquid should evaporate a bit. Add basil and thyme, if using any, in the last minute or so.
- Use a handheld mixer or a food processor to blend the soup. You can add some cream to garnish with basil just before serving the soup hot with some crusted bread.
Pineapple Quinoa Salad
With the sweet taste of pineapple and the aroma of fresh mint leaves, this exotic Pineapple Quinoa...
Oat & Fruit Pancakes
Perfect for the lunchbox with added fruits, as finger food for little kids on the go, or at home...
Farmer’s Brunch Omelet
Last time I was visiting Germany, I ate this amazing Bauernkartoffeleier – an omelet specialty of...
Chocolate Peanut Butter Rice Cakes
Talk about a pick me up snack or a breakfast cookie that keeps you full and satisfies your sugar tooth, this chocolate peanut butter rice cake is what you mean! Crispy, with a creamy naturally sweetened center (banana-sweetened!) and a chocolate cover with a sprinkle of sea salt…delicious and comforting is an understatement. […]
Dried Fruits Crumble
Here is a Dried Fruits Crumble that can be served as dessert with ice cream, a brunch dish, a winter warmer or an addition to your yoghurt. It is infused with tea, preferably Earl Grey, and the nutty crumble topping spiced with cinnamon. It is a great dish for Ramadan Sohour as well where we […]
White Beans with Zucchini and Spinach
This White Beans with Zucchini and Spinach recipe is so simple, yet so delicious! White beans cooked in broth, garlic and lime juice make for one tasty side dish. Perfect for mid-week meals and even cold for breakfast!