One Pot Chicken Freekeh
By yasmine • February 20, 2022
A one-pot meal, this chicken freekeh will be your favourite go to when you want a hearty and delicious meal the whole family will enjoy. You can also serve it in a gathering since it looks lovely in a big dish. Heartwarming, wholesome and delicious the Chicken Freekeh is definitely
- 3-4 piece chicken thighs - أوراك الدجاج
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder - بودرة ثوم
- 3 teaspoon all spice (divided) - بهارات
- 2 cup freekeh (washed) - فريك
- 2 tablespoon ghee (OR olive oil) - سمن بلدي
- 1 onion (diced) - بصلة
- 1 large carrot (grated) - جزرة
- 2 cinnamon sticks (or 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon powder) - عيدان قرفة
- 2-3 piece cardamom (crushed) - حبهان
- salt and pepper - ملح و فلفل
- 3 cup chicken broth/stock - مرقة دجاج
- 2 tablespoon parsley (finely chopped) - بقدونس
- 1 tablespoon almonds (sliced and toasted) - لوز
Step by step
- Marinate chicken with garlic powder and 2 teaspoons all spice.
- In a large rice pot, melt ghee and fry chicken thighs on all sides until golden (they wont cook through yet). Set aside.
- In the same pot, fry diced onions for a few minutes until slightly caramelized. Add grated carrot and stir.
- Sprinkle the rest of the all spice, cinnamon sticks and crushed cardamom pods. Stir veggies to combine scraping the pot for the burned chicken bits.
- Stir in with the washed freekeh, salt and pepper.
- Follow with the broth and bring heat to high in order to bring it to a boil. Then add chicken thighs back on top. As it simmers, lower heat and cover.
- Keep it covered as the steam helps the chicken cook properly. After 45 minutes check that the freekeh is cooked and the chicken is soft and tender. Adjust seasoning.
- Serve hot in a big serving dish with chicken not top and sprinkle with chopped parsley and toasted almonds.
Delicious Tiramisu Siciliano
While living in Europe, one of my best friends was the amazing Elisa from Sicily! I used to LOVE...
Classic Egyptian Kahk
This is the recipe for the classic Egyptian Kahk that I bake every Eid Fitr with my children to...
Banana Peanut Butter Rolls
My son liked to dip bananas in peanut butter for breakfast, and one day he wanted to take to...
Traditional Beef & Vegetables Soup
This traditional Beef & Vegetables Soup is not only colourful and delicious, butt it’s also nutrient-dense and a great choice for strong immunity. It’s all you need on cold winter days and when you’re feeling under the weather. It also makes a great Ramadan soup, and can be extra filling with added freekeh just like […]
Chicken & Chickpea Fatta
Flavourful chicken slices and lemony chickpeas are served over a bed of sumac-seasoned crispy bread and covered with a rich garlicky yoghurt-tahini sauce. This is an easy yet super tasty version of everyone’s favourite fatta. For best results, make sure the yoghurt is at room temperature before assembling the dish. This will ensure that the […]
Chicken Liver with Spinach & Chickpeas
This Chicken Liver with Spinach is a one pot main dish prepared in less than 45 minutes yet so good and hearty. It is the sort of dish that brings the family together over a nutritious meal and leaves everyone feeling great after. At CairoCooking, we are all about one pot, easy, nutritious and oh […]
Juicy Spinach-Stuffed Chicken Fillets
A delicious chicken dish that is easy to prepare and looks great on the table, the Spinach-stuffed Chicken Fillets is wholesome, high on protein and nutrients and really a full meal in a dish. The cheese addition is to add creaminess but you can omit it and still enjoy every bite. The tomato sauce suggested […]