Creamy North Indian Fish Curry
By Shewekar Elgharably • May 19, 2015
Enjoy the exotic spices in this wonderful fish curry dish brought to you straight from India. You will not believe it does not have any cream. The creamy consistency is achieved through coconut milk and a healthy cashew paste made from cashew nuts and water. Best served with our favourite gluten-free Cauliflower Rice.
- 5 tablespoon coconut oil - زيت جوز الهند
- 4 cloves - قرنفل
- 2 pod cardamom - حبهان
- 1 cinnamon powder - قرفة
- 1 medium green onions (chopped) - بصل أخضر
- 5 large garlic clove (peeled & mashed) - فص ثوم
- 1 piece fresh ginger (peeled and grated) - جنزبيل
- 2 green chili pepper (left whole & pricked) - فلفل أخضر حار
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric - كركم
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder - شطة مطحونة
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin - كمون
- 1 teaspoon dried coriander - كسبرة جافة
- 1 1/2 teaspoon garam masala (Indian spice mix) - جاراماسالا
- sea salt - ملح البحر
- black pepper - فلفل أسود
- 4 medium tomato (pureed) - طماطم
- 1/2 cup cashew nuts (made into a paste with some water) - الكاجو
- 1 1/2 cup coconut milk - لبن جوز الهند
- 500 gram fish fillet (cut into chunks) - سمك فيليه
- 1 handful cilantro (to garnish) - كزبرة
Step by step
- Heat the oil in a large non-stick saucepan.
- Add all spices (cloves, cardamom, cinnamon) and fry for 20 seconds.
- Add the onion and cook until golden.
- Add garlic, ginger, and green chilies. Stir for 5 minutes, as it gets thicker.
- Stir in the powdered spices and salt.
- Add the tomatoes and 1/2 cup water and cook over a moderate high heat until all water has dried off. Lower the heat and cook gently, covered, until the masala sauce releases oil (6-8 minutes). Stir as it gets thicker.
- Add the cashew paste and stir for 3 minutes.
- Add the coconut milk, bring to the boil and simmer covered for 15 minutes.
- Taste and adjust seasoning.
- Add the fish and cilantro and cook until the fish is just opaque, around 4 minutes or more.
- Shake the pan rather than stirring to avoid breaking up the fish.
Ice Cream Cookie Cups
Whether you're a fan of freezing ice cream on cold winter nights or not, you'll love this...
Traditional Rice Me'ammar is always a great crowd pleaser on the table. It is creamy, delicious and...
Walnut & Date Cake
Since It is the Eid season after Ramadan, I found everybody is running to do the traditional Eid...
Chocolate Peanut Butter Rice Cakes
Talk about a pick me up snack or a breakfast cookie that keeps you full and satisfies your sugar tooth, this chocolate peanut butter rice cake is what you mean! Crispy, with a creamy naturally sweetened center (banana-sweetened!) and a chocolate cover with a sprinkle of sea salt…delicious and comforting is an understatement. […]
Dried Fruits Crumble
Here is a Dried Fruits Crumble that can be served as dessert with ice cream, a brunch dish, a winter warmer or an addition to your yoghurt. It is infused with tea, preferably Earl Grey, and the nutty crumble topping spiced with cinnamon. It is a great dish for Ramadan Sohour as well where we […]
White Beans with Zucchini and Spinach
This White Beans with Zucchini and Spinach recipe is so simple, yet so delicious! White beans cooked in broth, garlic and lime juice make for one tasty side dish. Perfect for mid-week meals and even cold for breakfast!