Yellow Cornmeal Orange Cake
By shahdan • March 22, 2015
Our grandmas’ time, this recipe was as famous as a cheesecake today. Every house had its own recipe and every mother excelled in its baking… I got this recipe from my aunt, who learned it from her mother… It’s a cake that has been forgotten and that our generation barely knows…I baked this cake for the first time for an Easter friends and family gathering. “This reminds me of my mother”, said almost every person who tried the cake, it opened up a Pandora’s Box of memories and childhood stories, and it was the star of the event… Definitely worth trying!
- 3 cup cornmeal (yellow) - دقيق ذرة
- 1/2 cup flour - دقيق
- 1 1/2 cup sugar - سكر
- 7 egg - بيضة
- 1 1/4 cup butter (melted) - original recipe calls for 1.5 cups - زبدة
- 1 pack baking powder (preferably the one with mo7assen keik) - باكينج باودر
- 2 pack vanilla - فانيليا
- 1 large orange (zest and juice) - برتقالة
- 3/4 cup milk (squeeze the juice of one orange first in a cup then fill the rest of the cup with skimmed milk. It makes the cake lighter and full of orange freshness) - لبن
Step by step
- To make the batter, beat the sugar with the butter until fluffy.
- Beat in the eggs and the vanilla.
- Add the flour and the baking powder and mix until smooth.
- Zest your orange and add the zest to your mix. Then squeeze the orange into a 1-cup measure.
- Fill the rest of the cup with milk and stir your orange/milk mix in the batter.
- Grease a medium- sized oven tray with butter and bake the cake for 35 minutes in a 180 pre-heated until risen and a toothpick or thin skewer comes out clean from the middle of the cake.
- Leave to cool then cut into squares when it is still warm, and move it to a sealed box or any airtight container to keep it nice and moist.
Easy Roasted Tomato & Garlic Soup
This is the easiest recipe to achieve a yummy Roasted Tomato & Garlic Soup. With simple...
Light Vegetarian Moussaka
A simple meatless version of our classic Moussaka. The homemade tomato sauce tastes divine with a...
Quinoa, Mozzarella & Pomegranate Salad
The Quinoa, Mozzarella & Pomegranate is a wholesome and filling salad that is also delicious...
Dried Fruits Crumble
Here is a Dried Fruits Crumble that can be served as dessert with ice cream, a brunch dish, a winter warmer or an addition to your yoghurt. It is infused with tea, preferably Earl Grey, and the nutty crumble topping spiced with cinnamon. It is a great dish for Ramadan Sohour as well where we […]
Green Falafel Omelette
Falafel Omelette is an easy, nutritious and delicious breakfast/ brunch idea for those who want a filling healthy meal without the bread. This is a childhood recipe and it’s so close to my heart because I learned it from my grandmother. I use homemade Falafel Dough (Ta3meyya) that I prepare and freeze in batches because I […]
Traditional Beef & Vegetables Soup
This traditional Beef & Vegetables Soup is not only colourful and delicious, butt it’s also nutrient-dense and a great choice for strong immunity. It’s all you need on cold winter days and when you’re feeling under the weather. It also makes a great Ramadan soup, and can be extra filling with added freekeh just like […]
Chicken Liver with Spinach & Chickpeas
This Chicken Liver with Spinach is a one pot main dish prepared in less than 45 minutes yet so good and hearty. It is the sort of dish that brings the family together over a nutritious meal and leaves everyone feeling great after. At CairoCooking, we are all about one pot, easy, nutritious and oh […]