Best Winter Treat: Gingerbread Men
By shahdan • December 22, 2015
Just in time for the holidays… Baking gingerbread men is one of the best ways to enjoy the season’s festivities. Whether you bake them on your own or involve the children, these cookies are not only heartwarmingly delicious, but they also make the perfect christmas gift!
Depending on size, this quantity will yield around 15- 20 medium gingerbread men. You may also use any other cookie-cutter shapes you have.
- 2 1/2 cup all purpose flour (plus extra for dusting) - دقيق أبيض
- 2 teaspoon ginger powder - بودرة جنزبيل
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda - بيكربونات الصودا
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon powder - قرفة
- 125 gram butter (at room temperature) - زبدة
- 1/2 cup sugar - سكر
- 2 medium egg yolks - صفار البيض
- 1/2 cup molasses - عسل أسود
- 1 cup icing sugar - سكر بودرة
- 2-3 tablespoon lemon juice (or water) - عصير ليمون
- 1 cup candies (like m&ms, sprinkles, or small chocoalte chips) - حلوى
Step by step
- Preheat the oven to 180C. Line your baking tray with parchment paper.
- In a food processor, mix together the flour, bicarbonate of soda, ginger, and cinnamon. Add the butter and mix until the dough reaches the texture of breadcrumbs.
- Add the sugar and mix, followed by the egg yolks and the molasses. Mix until the dough comes together.
- Remove it from the food processor and use your hands to work the dough into a ball. (If you have the time, wrap the dough in a clean plastic bag, and allow it to rest for 15 minutes in the fridge.)
- Dust a clean working surface with a little flour. Using a flour-dusted rolling pin, roll out the dough until it's about 4 mm thick. Dip the cookie cutters in a little flour then cut out the cookie shapes and arrange them on the baking tray (about 3 cm apart).
- Use your hands to work the remaining dough into another ball and repeat the process.
- Bake the cookies for 10 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from the oven and allow them to cool and harden on the tray for 10 minutes before you can transfer them to a cooling rack.
- For the icing, mix the icing sugar with freshly squeezed lemon juice or water (one tablespoon at a time). Mix patiently after every tablespoon of liquid until a smooth but relatively thick icing is formed. Transfer the icing into a plastic bag. Using scissors, make a small cut in the corner of the bag and pipe little drops of icing to decorate the cookies. Also use it as glue to stick the candies. Allow the the icing a few minutes to dry before serving.
This Moussaka is irresistibly delicious, without the extra calories. The eggplants are oven-roasted...
Luscious Tuna Wrap
In this luscious wrap, tuna is made creamy with labna cheese to substitute heavy mayonnaise! Add...
Homemade Bounty Bars
This dessert is based on 3 ingredients only yet delicious and easy to prepare! Your kids will...
Vegan Spice Cookies with Candied Ginger
These cookies are absolutely brilliant and not just for vegans but for anyone really. It’s crispy on the outside with a cracked top and extra chewy and soft in the inside. Once you try it it’s going to be a staple at your house. This recipe is adapted from Ovenly’s Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies recipe […]
Middle Eastern Open Minced Meat Pie
This Open Minced Beef Pie is a feast of Middle Eastern flavours. Whether at brunch, or dinner parties, it is always a show-stopper and a huge crowd pleaser.
Oat & Fruit Pancakes
Perfect for the lunchbox with added fruits, as finger food for little kids on the go, or at home with a drizzle of pure honey, these Oat Pancakes are simply delicious and so easy to prepare a night in advance!
Spinach & Cheese Pie
The Spinach and Cheese Pie is crispy from the outside and smooth(almost creamy) from the inside with a tasty cheesy yet fresh taste. It is perfect as a side veggie dish for your everyday lunch as well as for big gatherings. This recipe serves 4-6. For bigger dinner parties, you will need to double the […]