Everyone’s Favourite Shawerma
By shahdan • July 8, 2015
The secret recipe to the best homemade shawerma is finally revealed. We had to dig for the best meat shawerma and thankfully, our dear ‘Tante Magda Hassaan’, was more than happy to share her very special recipe with www.cairocooking.com. You will not believe that it’s not restaurant-bought! And the best news is: the recipe is super easy and the ingredients are very basic. Roll it up in your favourite flat bread, or serve it on a platter with tahini and tortilla on the side, and enjoy the best takeaway food prepared at home!
For best results, the meat needs to marinate for 2 hours!
- 1 kg beef (beef escalope thinly sliced) - لحمة
- 2 medium onions (cut in rings) - بصل
- 3 tablespoon all spice - بهارات
- 1 cup vinegar - خل
- 2 tablespoon butter - زبدة
- 2 medium tomato (cubed) - طماطم
- 1 handful parsley (finely chopped) - بقدونس
- salt and pepper - ملح و فلفل
Step by step
- In a tray, mix together the onion, vinegar, all spice, salt and pepper then add the beef and toss until the meat is nicely coated. Leave to marinate in the fridge for 2 hours. (Make sure you can clearly smell the vinegar and all spice, and if you can't you may add a little more.)
- To cook the shawerma, place the whole tray on medium heat then add little pieces of butter over the meat and cover the tray with foil.
- Check on your shawerma and give it a quick stir every 5 minutes until it cooks (it will take approximately 40 minutes).
- When the meat is cooked add your tomatoes and parsley then toss together and serve!
The Simplest Renga Baladi
Such a simple and tasty recipe that takes us back to our childhood and still makes an amazing...
Easy Vegetable Stir-Fry
If you are bored of daily vegetable dishes, this easy vegetable stir fry is what you are looking...
Chicken Livers with Pomegranate Molasses
This chicken liver recipe is delicious and easy to prepare in less than 30 minutes. It works as a...
Dried Fruits Crumble
Here is a Dried Fruits Crumble that can be served as dessert with ice cream, a brunch dish, a winter warmer or an addition to your yoghurt. It is infused with tea, preferably Earl Grey, and the nutty crumble topping spiced with cinnamon. It is a great dish for Ramadan Sohour as well where we […]
Green Falafel Omelette
Falafel Omelette is an easy, nutritious and delicious breakfast/ brunch idea for those who want a filling healthy meal without the bread. This is a childhood recipe and it’s so close to my heart because I learned it from my grandmother. I use homemade Falafel Dough (Ta3meyya) that I prepare and freeze in batches because I […]
Traditional Beef & Vegetables Soup
This traditional Beef & Vegetables Soup is not only colourful and delicious, butt it’s also nutrient-dense and a great choice for strong immunity. It’s all you need on cold winter days and when you’re feeling under the weather. It also makes a great Ramadan soup, and can be extra filling with added freekeh just like […]
Chicken Liver with Spinach & Chickpeas
This Chicken Liver with Spinach is a one pot main dish prepared in less than 45 minutes yet so good and hearty. It is the sort of dish that brings the family together over a nutritious meal and leaves everyone feeling great after. At CairoCooking, we are all about one pot, easy, nutritious and oh […]