Walnut & Date Cake
By Marigo Gharbawy • July 27, 2015
Since It is the Eid season after Ramadan, I found everybody is running to do the traditional Eid goodies from Kahk to jam biscuit varieties. But being me (always trying to be different), I decided to do something different and keep the taste of Eid as well. I went for the flavors of Ramadan as well as summer. This cake includes dates, walnuts, cinnamon and complemented by my special ‘Sweet & Salted Toffee Sauce‘ that brings the whole story to an amazing end making you want to bite into another piece!
My family and friends ask me to do this cake in order to take it with them on road trips to satisfy their stomachs while traveling. It is so easy and it takes only minutes with preps and you leave the oven do his thing until you shower and finish packing and ready to hit the road. Having a piece of this cake with a generous drizzle of the salted toffee sauce is HEAVENLY DELICIOUS. Check out my blog www.MarigosBlazingKitchen.com. Recipe by Marigo Gharbawy.
- 500 gram all purpose flour - دقيق أبيض
- 1 teaspoon baking soda - بيكربونات الصودا
- 2 teaspoon baking powder - باكينج باودر
- 1 pinch salt - ملح
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon powder - قرفة
- 2 cup milk - لبن
- 200 gram dates (pitted & chopped) - بلح
- 2 cup sugar - سكر
- 200 gram walnut (chopped) - عين جمل / جوز
- 4 eggs - بيض
- 200 gram butter (at room tempreture) - زبدة
- 2 teaspoon vanilla - فانيليا
Step by step
- Preheat the oven at 180 degrees. Grease baking tin with oil and set aside.
- In a medium pot, boil milk and chopped pitted date on medium heat with 1 tsp of vanilla and cinnamon. As soon as the milk boils, turn off the heat and add baking soda and stir. Set aside until it cools down.
- In a medium bowl, mix dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and walnuts).
- In a handheld mixer, whisk butter and sugar on medium speed for 2 minutes until it creamy in colour. Add the eggs one by one then 1 tsp of vanilla. Whisk until all incorporated.
- On a slower pace, whisk in half of the dry ingredients to the butter mix followed by half of the date & milk mixture then the rest of the dry ingredients followed by the rest of the milk.
- Turn the speed on high for a few seconds then turn off to make sure all is incorporated then add the cake mixture to the baking tin.
- Put it in the oven and bake at 180 degrees for 50 to 60 minutes or until you can insert a cake tester in and it comes out clean.
- Let it cool, preferably on a rack, before you cut into it.
Freekeh Beraam With Chicken
This Freekeh Beraam with Chicken is a perfect comfort dish with all the delicious beraam flavours...
Easy Shrimp Curry
Recipe in Arabicالجمبرى بالكارى This shrimp curry is not only flavoursome...
Some recipes are good to know by heart, like this Classic Crepe. It comes in handy in the weekends...
Chocolate Peanut Butter Rice Cakes
Talk about a pick me up snack or a breakfast cookie that keeps you full and satisfies your sugar tooth, this chocolate peanut butter rice cake is what you mean! Crispy, with a creamy naturally sweetened center (banana-sweetened!) and a chocolate cover with a sprinkle of sea salt…delicious and comforting is an understatement. […]
Dried Fruits Crumble
Here is a Dried Fruits Crumble that can be served as dessert with ice cream, a brunch dish, a winter warmer or an addition to your yoghurt. It is infused with tea, preferably Earl Grey, and the nutty crumble topping spiced with cinnamon. It is a great dish for Ramadan Sohour as well where we […]
Classic 1-2-3-4 Marble Cake
Classic 1-2-3-4 cake is the first cake I learned to bake with my mother. As a child, I really appreciated the fact that the cake name helped me memorise and learn the basic cake proportions by heart: ONE for 1 cup milk and 1 cup butter, TWO for 2 cups sugar, THREE for 3 cups […]
Tahini & Banana Chocolate Muffins
Perfect for our daily chocolate cravings, these (refined-sugar-free) Tahini & Banana Chocolate Muffins are not only moist and rich, but they also carry lots of clean & healthy ingredients inside them. They make the perfect snack for grown-ups and kids alike. This recipe is super easy to prepare, because all the ingredients are simply mixed […]