Sweet Strawberry Tart with Homemade Custard
By shahdan • February 9, 2016
The taste and delicacy of this tart will remind you of the famous French Mille-feuille – only fresher, crispier and homemade with love!
- 1 cup milk (250ml) - لبن
- 1 medium egg - بيضة
- 1 medium egg yolk - صفار البيض
- 4 tablespoon sugar - سكر
- 2 tablespoon flour (plus extra for dusting) - دقيق
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract - خلاصة الفانيليا
- 150-200 gram puff pastry (about half a pack) - عجينة الباف باستري
- 1 small egg (to brush tart border) - بيضة
- 250 gram strawberries (sliced) - فراولة
- icing sugar (for garnish) - سكر بودرة
- 4 leaves mint (for garnish) - نعناع
Step by step
- Make sure the puff pastry is thoroughly defrosted before you roll it out.
- To prepare the custard, heat the milk in a small pot until hot (without boiling). In a bowl, whisk the egg, egg yolk, sugar, flour and vanilla extract until well combined.
- Gradually add the hot milk to the mixture and whisk.
- Transfer the custard mixture to the pot, bring to the boil over medium-low heat, while constantly stirring until it thickens (it will take a few minutes).
- Transfer the custard to a clean bowl and cover the surface with cling film (plastic wrap) so you can avoid a skin layer on top. Set aside and leave to cool.
- Preheat the oven to 180C. Line the tray with parchment paper.
- Lightly dust a clean working surface with flour. Roll out the dough into a square shape about (20 x 20 cm). It doesn't have to be perfect. (Imperfection gives it a homemade rustic look!)
- Carefully move the rolled-out dough to the lined tray.
- Using a knife, gently score a 1 cm border around your pastry. Using a fork, pierce the middle a few times. Lightly brush the borders with a little beaten egg.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes until golden. Take it out of the oven and use your hand to gently press down any risen middle part of the tart. Leave to cool.
- In the meantime, wash and cut strawberries into 3-4 slices.
- Spoon the custard over the tart, leaving the borders clean. Arrange the strawberries on top. Garnish with fresh mint and icing sugar.
Banana & Date Whole-Wheat Cake
I came across a lot of baking recipes when I tried to introduce my toddler to sweets without adding...
Cheat Mango & Mint Pavlova
Nothing beats a home-made dessert when hosting a dinner party. With our Egyptian big impressive...
Roasted Herbed Quail with Potatoes
الوصفة بالعربي Sometimes we need to have an outside of the box meal so I came up with...
Chocolate Peanut Butter Rice Cakes
Talk about a pick me up snack or a breakfast cookie that keeps you full and satisfies your sugar tooth, this chocolate peanut butter rice cake is what you mean! Crispy, with a creamy naturally sweetened center (banana-sweetened!) and a chocolate cover with a sprinkle of sea salt…delicious and comforting is an understatement. […]
Dried Fruits Crumble
Here is a Dried Fruits Crumble that can be served as dessert with ice cream, a brunch dish, a winter warmer or an addition to your yoghurt. It is infused with tea, preferably Earl Grey, and the nutty crumble topping spiced with cinnamon. It is a great dish for Ramadan Sohour as well where we […]
Classic 1-2-3-4 Marble Cake
Classic 1-2-3-4 cake is the first cake I learned to bake with my mother. As a child, I really appreciated the fact that the cake name helped me memorise and learn the basic cake proportions by heart: ONE for 1 cup milk and 1 cup butter, TWO for 2 cups sugar, THREE for 3 cups […]
Tahini & Banana Chocolate Muffins
Perfect for our daily chocolate cravings, these (refined-sugar-free) Tahini & Banana Chocolate Muffins are not only moist and rich, but they also carry lots of clean & healthy ingredients inside them. They make the perfect snack for grown-ups and kids alike. This recipe is super easy to prepare, because all the ingredients are simply mixed […]