By Shewekar Elgharably • May 17, 2015
Kitchari is India’s detox meal. The classic recipe is cooked with rice. In this recipe, rice is substituted with quinoa due to the numerous benefits of quinoa:
- Contains a combo of healthy acids that can help reduce unhealthy cholesterol levels in the blood & fight inflammation.
- Good source of protein, contains all the essential amino acids.
- High in antioxidants, which protect against free-radical damage.
- Quinoa is easy to digest and is gluten free.
- 1 cup quinoa - كينوا
- ½ cup brown lentils (cooked) - عدس بني
- ½ cup yellow lentils (or split peas) - عدس أصفر
- 4 cup vegetable stock (can be replaced with water) - مرقة خضار
- 2 cup vegetables (broccoli, carrots, celery, kale, swiss chard...) - خضار
- 2 tablespoon coconut oil (for cooking) - زيت جوز الهند
- ½ cup cilantro (chopped for garnish) - كزبرة
- ½ teaspoon mustard seeds - بذور الخردل
- ½ teaspoon coriander - كزبرة
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin - كمون
- ½ teaspoon turmeric - كركم
- ½ teaspoon ginger powder - بودرة جنزبيل
- sea salt - ملح البحر
- black pepper - فلفل أسود
Step by step
- Wash & drain the quinoa and yellow lentils.
- Chop all veggies and greens.
- Heat the oil, sautee mustard seeds until they pop and add the yellow lentils (or split peas), quinoa, the chopped veggies and the rest of the spices.
- Add broth, bring to a boil then put down the heat and let it simmer for 20 minutes until cooked through.
- Stir in the greens and cooked brown lentils just before you take it off the heat. Garnish with cilantro.
Greek Eggplant Dakos Salad
The authentic Greek Dakos salad is all about a delicious mix of tomatoes, feta cheese and olives...
Oriental Mezza: Lupini & Chickpeas
A typical Egyptian mezza platter that is healthy, nutritious and filling. This platter is so easy...
If you find yourself cooking rice daily, you may want to try cooking freekeh instead. It is...
Chocolate Peanut Butter Rice Cakes
Talk about a pick me up snack or a breakfast cookie that keeps you full and satisfies your sugar tooth, this chocolate peanut butter rice cake is what you mean! Crispy, with a creamy naturally sweetened center (banana-sweetened!) and a chocolate cover with a sprinkle of sea salt…delicious and comforting is an understatement. […]
Dried Fruits Crumble
Here is a Dried Fruits Crumble that can be served as dessert with ice cream, a brunch dish, a winter warmer or an addition to your yoghurt. It is infused with tea, preferably Earl Grey, and the nutty crumble topping spiced with cinnamon. It is a great dish for Ramadan Sohour as well where we […]
White Beans with Zucchini and Spinach
This White Beans with Zucchini and Spinach recipe is so simple, yet so delicious! White beans cooked in broth, garlic and lime juice make for one tasty side dish. Perfect for mid-week meals and even cold for breakfast!