Freekeh Vegetable Soup
By shahdan • June 8, 2016
The Freekeh Vegetable Soup is healthy, filling and delicious. Freekeh is full of nutritious benefits and is now called the new supergrain. It is not new to our Arabic cuisine, however we tend to forget it. This soup is the simplest way to bring freekeh back to your table.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil - زيت زيتون
- 1 small onion (finely chopped) - بصلة
- 1/2 cup celery (finely chopped) - كرفس افرنجي
- 1/2 cup freekeh (washed) - فريك
- salt and pepper (to taste) - ملح و فلفل
- 2 cup mixed vegetables (peas, carrots, zucchini, green beans, corn) - خضراوات مشكلة
- 4 cup vegetable stock (or chicken stock) - مرقة خضار
Step by step
- Heat the olive oil in a deep soup pot. Add the onions and celery and cook on medium heat until soft (about 5 minutes).
- Add the washed freekeh and cook with the onions and celery for another 2 minutes.
- Stir in the hot broth and leave to cook on medium heat for 10 minutes.
- Add the vegetables and leave to cook for another 10 minutes or until the freekeh and vegetables are cooked.
- Adjust salt and pepper and serve hot.
Warm Halva Pudding
If you are a fan of Halva (like me), you will fall in love with this sweet and simple dessert. You...
Goat Cheese & Sun-dried Tomato Multigrain Sandwich
The Goat Cheese & Sundried Tomato Multigrain Sandwich is not only nutritious, but it is...
Savoury Qatayef with Sun-Dried Tomatoes & Cheese
Sun-dried tomatoes and cheese are a match made in heaven! Stuffing our traditional Qatayef with...
Chocolate Peanut Butter Rice Cakes
Talk about a pick me up snack or a breakfast cookie that keeps you full and satisfies your sugar tooth, this chocolate peanut butter rice cake is what you mean! Crispy, with a creamy naturally sweetened center (banana-sweetened!) and a chocolate cover with a sprinkle of sea salt…delicious and comforting is an understatement. […]
Dried Fruits Crumble
Here is a Dried Fruits Crumble that can be served as dessert with ice cream, a brunch dish, a winter warmer or an addition to your yoghurt. It is infused with tea, preferably Earl Grey, and the nutty crumble topping spiced with cinnamon. It is a great dish for Ramadan Sohour as well where we […]
White Beans with Zucchini and Spinach
This White Beans with Zucchini and Spinach recipe is so simple, yet so delicious! White beans cooked in broth, garlic and lime juice make for one tasty side dish. Perfect for mid-week meals and even cold for breakfast!