The Shrimp Fatta
By Fayza Riad • September 21, 2015
This is originally a Crave recipe that I learned to do at home. It wows all my guests and it ends up on their posts and pictures!
- 1 kg shrimp (medium size, head & tail removed) - جمبري
- 2 tablespoon olive oil - زيت زيتون
- 5 garlic cloves (minced) - فصوص ثوم
- 2 teaspoon fresh ginger (freshly grated) - جنزبيل
- 4 cup tomato juice - عصير طماطم
- 3 cup cooked rice - ارز مطبوخ
- 4 baladi bread (cut in medium squares) - خبز بلدي/ مصري
- 2 tablespoon tomato paste - معجون طماطم / صلصة طماطم
- salt and pepper (to taste) - ملح و فلفل
- 2 tablespoon butter (melted OR 4 tablespoon olive oil) - زبدة
Step by step
- To prepare the bread: Preheat oven to 200C and line an oven tray with parchment paper. Toss the bread squares in the butter and 1 teaspoon grated ginger/ then spread them on the oven tray. Place it in the middle of the oven until crisp.
- To prepare the shrimp sauce: In a sauce pan, stir fry the garlic and ginger then add the shrimps. When shrimps turn white (cooked from outside), add tomato juice and paste then sprinkle in salt and pepper to your taste. Let it simmer till the sauce thickens a bit (about 25-30 minutes).
- For serving (just before eating): In a large serving dish, put all the crispy bread in the bottom. Drizzle it with two ladles of tomato sauce (without the shrimp). Then add a layer of the cooked rice (after reheating). Follow it with the shrimp pieces with some tomato sauce (key is not to soak the rice with the sauce).
Vegetable Glass Noodles
Who wouldn't like a bowl of Asian Glass noodles with luscious fresh vegetables? It is perfect and...
Spinach & Carrot Brown Rice Medley
From 9 months. Like most leafy greens, most doctors allow spinach from 9 months. Spinach is a...
Kitchari is India's detox meal. The classic recipe is cooked with rice. In this recipe, rice is...
Dried Fruits Crumble
Here is a Dried Fruits Crumble that can be served as dessert with ice cream, a brunch dish, a winter warmer or an addition to your yoghurt. It is infused with tea, preferably Earl Grey, and the nutty crumble topping spiced with cinnamon. It is a great dish for Ramadan Sohour as well where we […]
Green Falafel Omelette
Falafel Omelette is an easy, nutritious and delicious breakfast/ brunch idea for those who want a filling healthy meal without the bread. This is a childhood recipe and it’s so close to my heart because I learned it from my grandmother. I use homemade Falafel Dough (Ta3meyya) that I prepare and freeze in batches because I […]
Traditional Beef & Vegetables Soup
This traditional Beef & Vegetables Soup is not only colourful and delicious, butt it’s also nutrient-dense and a great choice for strong immunity. It’s all you need on cold winter days and when you’re feeling under the weather. It also makes a great Ramadan soup, and can be extra filling with added freekeh just like […]
Chicken Liver with Spinach & Chickpeas
This Chicken Liver with Spinach is a one pot main dish prepared in less than 45 minutes yet so good and hearty. It is the sort of dish that brings the family together over a nutritious meal and leaves everyone feeling great after. At CairoCooking, we are all about one pot, easy, nutritious and oh […]