Freekeh Beraam With Chicken
By shahdan • April 24, 2020
This Freekeh Beraam with Chicken is a perfect comfort dish with all the delicious beraam flavours and spices aroma. It is light and nutritious, without compromising on taste, and will be the star of your dinner party table. This dish is best served with a green salad.
- 2 cup freekeh - فريك
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (plus an extra teaspoon to grease oven dish) - زيت زيتون
- 1 large onion (chopped) - بصلة
- 1 large carrot (grated) - جزرة
- 3 stalks green onions (finely chopped) OPTIONAL - بصل أخضر
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon powder - قرفة
- 1 pinch nutmeg - جوزة الطيب
- 2 medium chicken breast (boiled or from leftover) - صدور دجاج
- 2 cup milk - لبن
- 2 cup chicken broth/stock - مرقة دجاج
- salt and pepper - ملح و فلفل
Step by step
- Soak the freekeh in water for one hour.
- Rinse freekeh with fresh water and place in a sieve to drain remaining water.
- In a pan, heat olive oil. Add onions and cook on low heat until soft. Add grated carrots and chopped spring onions and stir for a couple of minutes then add the freekeh. Keep stirring for a couple of more minutes.
- Season freekeh with cinnamon, nutmeg, salt and pepper.
- Brush beraam or oven dish with a little oil. Add half the freekeh.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper, slice and arrange over freekeh. Finally cover the chicken with the remaining freekeh.
- Mix the milk with the chicken stock. Season with salt and pepper if needed, and pour over the freekeh.
- Preheat oven to 180C. Bake uncovered for 45-60 minutes until liquid is absorbed and the top of the beraam is golden.
Warm Chestnut Soup with Garlic Breadcrumbs
I tried the chestnut soup in London back in 2013 and ever since then I wanted to prepare it...
Steak Frites with Mustard Sauce
Steak Frites is a French comfort dish... Always a crowd pleaser, especially when elegantly served...
Hearty Homemade Lentil Soup
Comfort food at its best...this homemade lentil soup is easy, super nutritious and so...
Dried Fruits Crumble
Here is a Dried Fruits Crumble that can be served as dessert with ice cream, a brunch dish, a winter warmer or an addition to your yoghurt. It is infused with tea, preferably Earl Grey, and the nutty crumble topping spiced with cinnamon. It is a great dish for Ramadan Sohour as well where we […]
Green Falafel Omelette
Falafel Omelette is an easy, nutritious and delicious breakfast/ brunch idea for those who want a filling healthy meal without the bread. This is a childhood recipe and it’s so close to my heart because I learned it from my grandmother. I use homemade Falafel Dough (Ta3meyya) that I prepare and freeze in batches because I […]
Traditional Beef & Vegetables Soup
This traditional Beef & Vegetables Soup is not only colourful and delicious, butt it’s also nutrient-dense and a great choice for strong immunity. It’s all you need on cold winter days and when you’re feeling under the weather. It also makes a great Ramadan soup, and can be extra filling with added freekeh just like […]
Chicken Liver with Spinach & Chickpeas
This Chicken Liver with Spinach is a one pot main dish prepared in less than 45 minutes yet so good and hearty. It is the sort of dish that brings the family together over a nutritious meal and leaves everyone feeling great after. At CairoCooking, we are all about one pot, easy, nutritious and oh […]