Roasted Thyme Chicken & Potatoes
By shahdan • January 17, 2016
Another popular Egyptian classic… A rustic oven dish with one whole chicken roasted over a bed of onions, potatoes, and tomatoes and sprinkled with lots of aromatic thyme among other spices. It’s one of those dishes that are best served in the same oven tray.
The pleasure of digging in, to spoon out those roasted potatoes, cooked with the tastiest chicken juices, tomatoes and sweetly roasted onion rings, is just incredible. I believe that those hearty dishes are part of life’s little things that make a house a home.
This is my childhood recipe and it is a little different from the classic because I use ketchup as my secret ingredient. The sugar in ketchup helps the onions caramelize and gives the chicken a special sweet taste.
- 1 medium chicken (Around 1.2 kg- butterflied) - دجاج
- 2 large onion (sliced) - بصلة
- 4 large potatoes (cut into thick fingers) - بطاطس
- 2 medium tomatoes (sliced) - طماطم
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder - بودرة ثوم
- 4 teaspoon thyme - زعتر
- 4 piece cardamom - حبهان
- 2 medium bay leaf - ورق لاورا
- 5 tablespoon ketchup - كاتشب
- 4 tablespoon olive oil - زيت زيتون
- 1/4 cup water - ماء
- salt and pepper (to taste) - ملح و فلفل
Step by step
- Place the potato fingers into an oven dish. Generously season with garlic powder, salt, pepper, 2 tsps. thyme and a drizzle olive oil. Mix well. Add the bay leaves and the cardamoms. Arrange half of the tomatoes and onion slices on top.
- Press on the chicken to make it as flat as possible so it cooks evenly. Rub the chicken from all sides with 2 tsps. thyme, salt, pepper, olive oil and 2 tablespoons ketchup.
- Place the seasoned chicken on the potatoes, and arrange the remaining tomatoes and onions on top. Sprinkle extra thyme, a drizzle olive oil, and another drizzle of ketchup.
- To help the potatoes cook, add 1/4 cup of water.
- Bake covered in a 200C preheated oven for 45 minutes. Uncover, and bake for a further 30 minutes. Ovens may vary so make sure the chicken is cooked through and the poatoes are nice and soft before serving.
Roasted Chicken with Garlic & Balsamic
The recipe for this Garlic & Balsamic Baked Chicken is effortless, yet the end result is juicy...
Roasted Eggplant & Labna Bruschetta
Perfect for brunch and casual gatherings, this roasted eggplant & labna bruschetta is a true...
Traditional Foul BelKhalta
الوصفة بالعربي This traditional foul belKhalta is a family favourite recipe, that we...
Dried Fruits Crumble
Here is a Dried Fruits Crumble that can be served as dessert with ice cream, a brunch dish, a winter warmer or an addition to your yoghurt. It is infused with tea, preferably Earl Grey, and the nutty crumble topping spiced with cinnamon. It is a great dish for Ramadan Sohour as well where we […]
Green Falafel Omelette
Falafel Omelette is an easy, nutritious and delicious breakfast/ brunch idea for those who want a filling healthy meal without the bread. This is a childhood recipe and it’s so close to my heart because I learned it from my grandmother. I use homemade Falafel Dough (Ta3meyya) that I prepare and freeze in batches because I […]
Traditional Beef & Vegetables Soup
This traditional Beef & Vegetables Soup is not only colourful and delicious, butt it’s also nutrient-dense and a great choice for strong immunity. It’s all you need on cold winter days and when you’re feeling under the weather. It also makes a great Ramadan soup, and can be extra filling with added freekeh just like […]
Chicken Liver with Spinach & Chickpeas
This Chicken Liver with Spinach is a one pot main dish prepared in less than 45 minutes yet so good and hearty. It is the sort of dish that brings the family together over a nutritious meal and leaves everyone feeling great after. At CairoCooking, we are all about one pot, easy, nutritious and oh […]