Comforting Potato Gratin – A Shortcut Recipe
By yasmine • February 26, 2019
This potato gratin is not just delicious, it can be ready in as short as 30 minutes! You need to thinly slice the potatoes (unpeeled and all) with a mandolin or with the knife setting of the food processor.
Also, boiling the potatoes for 10 minutes in little water and steam helps it get cooked quicker in the oven.
The potatoes come out cheesy, well seasoned and soft from the inside making it the best comfort side dish to any steak or fish dish.
This recipe serves 4-5 people as a side dish but you can easily multiply ingredients for a large gathering.
- 4 medium potatoes (thinly sliced circles with a mandolin or food processor) - بطاطس
- 2 medium onion (thinly sliced into circles) - بصلة
- 1/2 cup cooking cream - كريم الطهي
- 1/4 cup full cream milk - لبن كامل الدسم
- salt and pepper - ملح و فلفل
- 2 garlic cloves (minced) - فصوص ثوم
- pinch nutmeg - جوزة الطيب
- 2 bay leaves - ورق لاورا
- 2 tablespoon thyme (stems removed) - زعتر
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese (grated - about 75g) - جبن شيدر
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese (gated - about 90g) OR Roumy cheese - جبنة بارميزان
Step by step
- Slice potatoes and onions and place them together in an oven proof dish that you can also use on the stove (diameter 25cm or 20x20cm).
- Add cream, milk, salt & pepper, nutmeg, minced garlic and bay leaves to the potatoes. Sprinkle half the cheese and fresh thyme then use your hands to spread the toppings all over the potatoes.
- Tip the hot water over it then place it on the stove. Bring it to a boil, then lower heat and cover. Let it simmer for up to 10 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Switch off the stove, sprinkle the rest of the cheese on top and place it in the oven for 15-20 minutes until cooked-through and golden.
- Sprinkle some more fresh thyme and serve hot.
Oriental Mezza: Lupini & Chickpeas
A typical Egyptian mezza platter that is healthy, nutritious and filling. This platter is so easy...
Leeks are a special crop that comes in season in short intervals. It is commonly used in our...
Filling Red Cabbage Soup
A filling red cabbage soup can be a meal on its own. This pink violet soup is delicious, filling...
Chocolate Peanut Butter Rice Cakes
Talk about a pick me up snack or a breakfast cookie that keeps you full and satisfies your sugar tooth, this chocolate peanut butter rice cake is what you mean! Crispy, with a creamy naturally sweetened center (banana-sweetened!) and a chocolate cover with a sprinkle of sea salt…delicious and comforting is an understatement. […]
These Truffle Potatoes are so easy to prepare yet have bangs of flavor and yumminess. It is a special side dish to your fillet or fish dish. If you cant find baby potatoes, cut large potatoes in large cubes – same size as half baby potatoes. Also, make sure you get a good quality truffle […]
Green Falafel Omelette
Falafel Omelette is an easy, nutritious and delicious breakfast/ brunch idea for those who want a filling healthy meal without the bread. This is a childhood recipe and it’s so close to my heart because I learned it from my grandmother. I use homemade Falafel Dough (Ta3meyya) that I prepare and freeze in batches because I […]
Leeks are a special crop that comes in season in short intervals. It is commonly used in our Falafel but there are so many other ways to enjoy its freshness and uniqueness, like this Leek & Potato Soup. This recipe can be ready in 30 minutes, and a perfect side dish to all protein.