Zaatar & Lime Chicken with Roasted Onions
By yasmine • February 11, 2020
If you bought or were gifted Zaatar mix from Lebanon or Palestine, then this Zaatar & Lime Chicken dish is just what you need to savor this beautiful authentic herb mix along with a citrussy and tender juicy chicken.
Aromatic, succulent and full of flavor, this recipe is straightforward and easy to execute. The addition of the baby red onions ensures a crunchy sweet signature to the dish. Serve it with white rice, vermicelli or freekeh and a green salad for a full meal.
- 1/3 cup olive oil (divided) - زيت زيتون
- 2 tablespoon sumac (divided) - سماق
- salt and pepper - ملح و فلفل
- red onions - بصل أحمر
- 5 garlic cloves (minced) - فصوص ثوم
- 4 lime (juiced) - ليمون بلدي
- 4 tablespoon Zaatar - زعتر محوج
- 1 whole chicken (quartered) - دجاج
- 2 tablespoon pomegranate seeds - بذور رمان
- 2 tablespoon coriander (finely chopped) - كزبرة
Step by step
- Place baby onions in an oven dish and drizzle with 2 tablespoons olive oil, 1 tablespoon sumac and generous amount of salt & pepper. Use your hands to distribute the marinade. Set aside.
- To prepare the chicken marinade, combine the rest of the olive oil, sumac, zaatar, minced garlic and lime juice in a small bowl. Season with salt and pepper to taste and stir.
- Tip the marinade over the chicken quarters and make sure to distribute it evenly and between the chicken meat and skin.
- Place the marinated chicken over the onions and cover. Place it in the fridge for one hour or overnight to get all the flavors in.
- To roast the chicken, preheat oven to 200C. Place the tray uncovered for 15 minutes, then lower heat to 180C. Cover the tray and leave it for another 30 minutes or until completely cooked-through and moist.
- Let it rest for 10 minutes covered before you garnish with pomegranate seeds and freshly chopped coriander. Serve warm.
Lentil & Beetroot Salad
This simple lentils & beetroot salad is wholesome and filling during winter and summer. It's a...
Cheesecake in a Cup
الوصفه بالعربي Dessert can never be this simple yet so heavenly! Every time I made...
Some recipes are good to know by heart, like this Classic Crepe. It comes in handy in the weekends...
Chocolate Peanut Butter Rice Cakes
Talk about a pick me up snack or a breakfast cookie that keeps you full and satisfies your sugar tooth, this chocolate peanut butter rice cake is what you mean! Crispy, with a creamy naturally sweetened center (banana-sweetened!) and a chocolate cover with a sprinkle of sea salt…delicious and comforting is an understatement. […]
Dried Fruits Crumble
Here is a Dried Fruits Crumble that can be served as dessert with ice cream, a brunch dish, a winter warmer or an addition to your yoghurt. It is infused with tea, preferably Earl Grey, and the nutty crumble topping spiced with cinnamon. It is a great dish for Ramadan Sohour as well where we […]
White Beans with Zucchini and Spinach
This White Beans with Zucchini and Spinach recipe is so simple, yet so delicious! White beans cooked in broth, garlic and lime juice make for one tasty side dish. Perfect for mid-week meals and even cold for breakfast!