Feel-Good Artichoke Soup
By shahdan • January 23, 2016
Loaded with artichokes, peas and carrots, this soup is the ultimate comfort soup. The dill adds a delicious twist, and a squeeze of lime takes this soup to a whole new level! Feel-good soup at its best!
- 400 gram artichoke (1 frozen artichoke hearts pack) - خرشوف
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil - زيت نباتي
- 1 teaspoon butter (optional) - زبدة
- 1.5 tablespoon flour - دقيق
- 2 cup half cream milk (500 ml - OR skimmed milk) - لبن نصف دسم
- 2 cup chicken broth/stock (500 ml - OR vegetable stock) - مرقة دجاج
- 1/2 cup mixed vegetables (frozen peas & carrots) - خضراوات مشكلة
- 2 teaspoon dill (chopped) - شبت
- salt and pepper (to taste) - ملح و فلفل
- 1 large lime (plus extra for serving) - ليمون بلدي
Step by step
- Defrost artichoke hearts and chop into cubes. Set aside.
- In a deep soup pot, melt butter (if using any) with oil on medium heat. Add flour and stir for a minute or two until flour starts to bubble.
- Add milk and whisk continuously on low heat (making sure there are no flour lumps) until milk thickens. Don't rush this step, it takes about 15 minutes.
- Add one cup chicken broth only then the artichoke cubes. Leave to simmer on low heat for 5 minutes, then add mixed vegetables and let it cook for another 10 minutes.
- When all veggies are tender, transfer 2 ladles of soup with veggies to a small blender and process until smooth. You can also use a small bowl for a hand-held blender. Return the pureed soup to the pot.
- Season with salt and pepper. Adjust soup consistency to your liking using remaining stock.
- Add dill and lime juice and serve warm.
Vermicelli with Almonds
Vermicelli with Almonds (she'reya) has always been an important dish on my family's dinner party-...
Spinach & Cheese-Stuffed Chicken Breast with Tomato & Carrot Cream Sauce
This recipe is the runner-up to #MyBestDish cooking competition. This recipe is perfect for any...
Roasted Herbed Quail with Potatoes
الوصفة بالعربي Sometimes we need to have an outside of the box meal so I came up with...
Broccoli and Avocado Soup
Creamy, refreshing and so easy to prepare, the Broccoli and Avocado Soup is packed with vitamins, minerals and antioxidants. It will be your new favourite soup.
Traditional Beef & Vegetables Soup
This traditional Beef & Vegetables Soup is not only colourful and delicious, butt it’s also nutrient-dense and a great choice for strong immunity. It’s all you need on cold winter days and when you’re feeling under the weather. It also makes a great Ramadan soup, and can be extra filling with added freekeh just like […]
Leek & Onion Soup
A heartwarming soup that must be prepared every winter in our household. It fits most menus because of its lightness, simplicity and goes well with any protein or carb dish. You can have it light without the toast but you defiantly treat yourself to a restaurant quality dish with some good melted cheese on toast.
Warm Chestnut Soup with Garlic Breadcrumbs
I tried the chestnut soup in London back in 2013 and ever since then I wanted to prepare it myself and I just did this winter. It turned out super warm and yummy. The original recipe ingredients includes cream, I used skimmed milk instead and it still turned out creamy since chestnuts are already somewhat fatty. You can also […]