Baked Chicken Fingers
By shahdan • September 12, 2015
If my daughter had the option, she would have eaten fried breaded chicken EVERY SINGLE DAY, can you relate?!! I have been testing different ways to achieve a healthier baked version of her favourite nuggets and panee, without compromising on the taste and crispiness. My main problem was the ‘sandy’ and dry breadcrumbs after the baking process, which made her never approve my baked chicken. She also never liked the cornflakes options, which most of the time, ended up dry as well. In this recipe however, the breadcrumbs achieve the right crispiness, because the chicken is dipped in a mixture of yoghurt, oil and egg white before dusting in breadcrumbs. This recipe is great for play dates, lunchbox, and even grown-up gatherings, served with a dip of honey mustard on the side.
- 400 gram chicken breast fillet - صدور فيليه الدجاج
- to taste salt and pepper - ملح و فلفل
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder - بودرة ثوم
- 1 small lime - ليمون بلدي
- 150 gram yoghurt (around 1 1/4 commercial size cup) - زبادي
- 2 tablespoon vegetable oil - زيت نباتي
- 1 large egg whites - بياض بيض
- 2 cup breadcrumbs - بقسماط
- For the Honey Mustard - للمسطردة بالعسل
- 4 tablespoon yoghurt (preferably greek yoghurt/ or light mayo) - زبادي
- 1.5 tablespoon mustard - مسطردة
- 1 tablespoon honey - عسل
- salt and pepper (to taste) - ملح و فلفل
Step by step
- Cut the chicken into fingers, or ask the butcher to prepare the chicken for you in advance.
- Marinate the chicken fingers in salt, pepper, garlic powder and one lime. For best results, leave to marinate overnight.
- In a bowl, combine the yoghurt with the egg white and 1 tablespoon oil and mix well.
- Place bread crumbs in a different plate/ bowl and set aside.
- Heat oven to 200C.
- To prepare your tray, brush the tray with a little oil then add the parchment paper. (This is an optional step to help the parchment stick to the tray). Next, brush the parchment paper generously with 1 tablespoon oil. You may add a little extra for a large tray.
- Dip the chicken fingers (one at a time) in the yoghurt mixture then coat thoroughly with the breadcrumbs and arrange on the baking tray.
- Bake for 20- 30 minutes, while turning the chicken half way through until coating is golden and chicken is cooked through.
- To prepare the honey mustard dip, simply mix all the dip ingredients together in a small bowl and serve with the chicken.
Lemon & Butter Fish en Papillote
Simple fish dish that truly impresses with its little gift like look and deliciousness. Once you...
Egyptian White Rice
Cooking simple white rice can be quite challenging for lots of people. This is a simple recipe that...
Light Garlic Green Beans with Pine Nuts
A change to traditional green beans recipes, these garlicky green beans with pine nuts make a...
Chocolate Peanut Butter Rice Cakes
Talk about a pick me up snack or a breakfast cookie that keeps you full and satisfies your sugar tooth, this chocolate peanut butter rice cake is what you mean! Crispy, with a creamy naturally sweetened center (banana-sweetened!) and a chocolate cover with a sprinkle of sea salt…delicious and comforting is an understatement. […]
Cheat Zaatar Mana’ish
We like to call it ‘cheat’ Mana’ish because this is definitely not the original recipe, however it is a super quick hassle-free variation without compromising on the delicious flavours… The dough does not need any resting time. Just bring it together, roll it out into your favourite shape and size, add your favourite topping and […]
Yummy Oat Pancakes served with dates and bananas, and generously drizzled with a tahini-molasses syrup… this is a healthy and nutritious way to start your day.
Blackeyed Peas Salad with Parsley Dressing
This Blackeyed Peas Salad is prepared using very simple everyday ingredients that come together to create a colourful and super nutritious dish. The salad dressing is blended with fresh green parsley to turn a basic sauce into a luscious creamy and full of flavour addition to your salad.