Make-Ahead Chicken Shawerma & Tahini Sandwich Fillers
By shahdan • September 22, 2016
The children will be super excited about this yummy Shawerma & Tahini sandwich at school. Just cook the shawerma and prepare the tahini sauce in advance, then store in the fridge. In the morning, you can decide wether to serve this chicken shawerma in small buns or in tortilla wraps!
This quantity will make about 6 sandwiches (depending on the bread you will use). If you want to make a larger quantity for the whole family, double the quantity and use 1.5 kg chicken!
For best results, marinate chicken for a couple of hours or overnight!
- 750 gram chicken breast fillet - صدور فيليه الدجاج
- 1/4 cup vinegar - خل
- 1 teaspoon all spice - بهارات
- 2 tablespoon yoghurt - زبادي
- 2 medium garlic cloves (minced) - فصوص ثوم
- 1/2 medium pickled lemon (finely chopped OR juice of 2 limes) - ليمون معصفر
- 1 large onion (thinly sliced) - بصلة
- 1 teaspoon salt - ملح
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper - فلفل أسود
- 2 tablespoon olive oil - زيت زيتون
- 3 medium tomatoes (deseeded and cubed) - طماطم
- 1 bunch parsley (finely chopped) - بقدونس
- For the tahini sauce:
- 2 tablespoon tahini - طحينة
- 1 tablespoon yoghurt - زبادي
- 2 tablespoon vinegar - خل
- 2-3 tablespoon water - ماء
- pinch ground cumin - كمون
- salt and pepper (to taste) - ملح و فلفل
Step by step
- Using a good sharp knife, slice the chicken into thin shawerma slices. You can also buy the chicken sliced from your butcher.
- Marinate chicken slices with vinegar, all spice, yoghurt, minced garlic, pickled lemon (or lime juice), sliced onion, salt and pepper. Cover and place it in the fridge for a couple of hours or for best results, overnight.
- To cook the shawerma, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large pan or wok. (Make sure not to overcrowd a small pan so the chicken cooks properly.) Add chicken slices and cook uncovered on medium heat. The chicken will release its water. Let it cook, stirring frequently, until water is absorbed and chicken is cooked through. Take Shawerma off the heat, then add cubed tomatoes and chopped parsley.
- Let it cool, then place it in a sealed box in the fridge to use when needed as a sandwich filler.
- For the tahini sauce, mix tahini with yoghurt, and vinegar. Gradually add water and stir until you achieve the needed consistency. Season with cumin, salt and pepper. Store in another small sealed box in the fridge. Use the sauce to spread over the bread before filling the Shawarma sandwich. The Tahini might slightly thicken when stored in the fridge. You can add a few drops of water and stir, to make it thinner.
Simple Greens Chicken Broth
Nothing can replace a good homemade chicken broth. Prepare it in large quantities, freeze it, and...
Roasted Turmeric Chicken
الوصفة بالعربي The Roasted Turmeric Chicken has bold flavours, vibrant colours, moist...
الوصفه بالعربي This Kebda Baladi recipe is by far the easiest recipe ever! It takes...
Chocolate Peanut Butter Rice Cakes
Talk about a pick me up snack or a breakfast cookie that keeps you full and satisfies your sugar tooth, this chocolate peanut butter rice cake is what you mean! Crispy, with a creamy naturally sweetened center (banana-sweetened!) and a chocolate cover with a sprinkle of sea salt…delicious and comforting is an understatement. […]
Cheat Zaatar Mana’ish
We like to call it ‘cheat’ Mana’ish because this is definitely not the original recipe, however it is a super quick hassle-free variation without compromising on the delicious flavours… The dough does not need any resting time. Just bring it together, roll it out into your favourite shape and size, add your favourite topping and […]
Yummy Oat Pancakes served with dates and bananas, and generously drizzled with a tahini-molasses syrup… this is a healthy and nutritious way to start your day.
Blackeyed Peas Salad with Parsley Dressing
This Blackeyed Peas Salad is prepared using very simple everyday ingredients that come together to create a colourful and super nutritious dish. The salad dressing is blended with fresh green parsley to turn a basic sauce into a luscious creamy and full of flavour addition to your salad.