The Christmas Chestnut Turkey Breast Anyone Can Prepare
By Sandra Keldany • December 17, 2015
A joyous and hassle-free Christmas turkey with sweet maple syrup and lucious chestnuts. The trick lies in not using a whole turkey, but only the breast. This makes the cooking process much easier, the carving a simple task, and you end up with no leftovers!
This recipe is by Sandra Keldany from her article with CairoCooking’s ‘In Your Kitchen.’ Read the full article here.
- 800 gram turkey breast (boneless) - صدر ديك مخلي
- 1 medium onion (finely chopped) - بصلة
- 2 tablespoon vegetable oil - زيت نباتي
- 1 tablespoon butter - زبدة
- 300 gram chestnuts (cooked & peeled OR from a can)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder - بودرة ثوم
- 1 teaspoon garlic (minced garlic) - ثوم
- 2 tablespoon maple syrup - شراب القيقب
- 1 cup water (240 ml) - ماء
- salt and pepper (to taste) - ملح و فلفل
Step by step
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Rub the turkey breast with salt, pepper and garlic powder.
- In a large frying pan (preferably oven-proof), heat the oil and the butter. Add the finely chopped onion, followed by the minced garlic and the turkey breast. Fry the breast with the onions and garlic until golden on all sides.
- Add maple syrup and fry for further two minutes then add water. Using a thin knife, create a few small incisions in the turkey breast, to allow the juices to go inside.
- Transfer the turkey and its juices to an oven-proof dish if your pan is not oven-proof then pop in the oven for 60 minutes. Then add the previously cooked chestnuts to the turkey pan, after 40 minutes (to allow 20 minutes of cooking time with the turkey juices). Baste occasionally during cooking.
- You know the turkey is cooked when you insert a skewer in the middle and the juices run clear.
- Cover and allow to stand for 10 minutes before carving.
Easter Herring (Renga) Salad
My mum always makes this salad on Easter morning. It is yummy and makes eating traditional 'renga'...
Chewy Toffee & Nut On Biscuits
It is chewy from the toffee, crunchy from the bottom biscuit while the whole almonds give it a...
Quinoa, Mozzarella & Pomegranate Salad
The Quinoa, Mozzarella & Pomegranate is a wholesome and filling salad that is also delicious...
One Pot Chicken Freekeh
A one-pot meal, this chicken freekeh will be your favourite go to when you want a hearty and delicious meal the whole family will enjoy. You can also serve it in a gathering since it looks lovely in a big dish. Heartwarming, wholesome and delicious the Chicken Freekeh is definitely
Traditional Beef & Vegetables Soup
This traditional Beef & Vegetables Soup is not only colourful and delicious, butt it’s also nutrient-dense and a great choice for strong immunity. It’s all you need on cold winter days and when you’re feeling under the weather. It also makes a great Ramadan soup, and can be extra filling with added freekeh just like […]
Chicken & Chickpea Fatta
Flavourful chicken slices and lemony chickpeas are served over a bed of sumac-seasoned crispy bread and covered with a rich garlicky yoghurt-tahini sauce. This is an easy yet super tasty version of everyone’s favourite fatta. For best results, make sure the yoghurt is at room temperature before assembling the dish. This will ensure that the […]
Chicken Liver with Spinach & Chickpeas
This Chicken Liver with Spinach is a one pot main dish prepared in less than 45 minutes yet so good and hearty. It is the sort of dish that brings the family together over a nutritious meal and leaves everyone feeling great after. At CairoCooking, we are all about one pot, easy, nutritious and oh […]