Sweet Potato in Coconut Cream
By yasmine • May 8, 2016
From 7 months.
Although, allergic reactions to coconut are very rare (according to the Food Allergy and Anaphylaxis Network & the FDA), it is advised to ask your doctor. Once your pediatrician approves, coconut milk or cream may be incorporated into a variety of veggies, rice and meat dishes.
Sweet potato is a recommended root vegetable for early stages of weaning. It is sweet in taste and full of important nutritients. Adding ginger and coconut cream to it, not only enhances taste but also provides your child with healthy fats (lauric acid) from the coconut cream.
Lauric acid is also the main fatty acid in breast milk. It helps make breast milk digestible and believed to protect babies from infections and boost their immune system.
For more toddler recipes, click here.
- 1 large sweet potato - بطاطا
- 2-3 tablespoon coconut cream - كريمة جوز الهند
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger (grated) - جنزبيل
- 1 pinch black pepper (optional) - فلفل أسود
Step by step
- Roast sweet potatoes in an 180C oven for 40-50 minutes or until softened. You can also peel it, cut in cubes and steam it for 20 minutes.
- In the meantime, place 3 tablespoons coconut cream and grated ginger in a small sauce pan and let it simmer over low heat for 10 minutes.
- Peel roasted sweet potato and mash it using a fork in a small bowl. Sprinkle a pinch of black pepper if using any.
- Using a sieve to discard the ginger bits, stir in the ginger-flavoured coconut cream over the sweet potato mash and mix to combine. Serve it warm or cold according to your baby's preference.
Feel-Good Artichoke Soup
Loaded with artichokes, peas and carrots, this soup is the ultimate comfort soup. The dill adds a...
Meat Cubes with Carrots & Potatoes
Kabab Halla or meat cubes cooked with carrots and potatoes is such an ancient dish in our family....
4-Ingredients Caramel Chocolate Bites
These Caramel Chocolate Bites are refined sugar-free and vegan (if using vegan dark...
Chocolate Peanut Butter Rice Cakes
Talk about a pick me up snack or a breakfast cookie that keeps you full and satisfies your sugar tooth, this chocolate peanut butter rice cake is what you mean! Crispy, with a creamy naturally sweetened center (banana-sweetened!) and a chocolate cover with a sprinkle of sea salt…delicious and comforting is an understatement. […]
Yummy Oat Pancakes served with dates and bananas, and generously drizzled with a tahini-molasses syrup… this is a healthy and nutritious way to start your day.
Classic 1-2-3-4 Marble Cake
Classic 1-2-3-4 cake is the first cake I learned to bake with my mother. As a child, I really appreciated the fact that the cake name helped me memorise and learn the basic cake proportions by heart: ONE for 1 cup milk and 1 cup butter, TWO for 2 cups sugar, THREE for 3 cups […]
Tahini & Banana Chocolate Muffins
Perfect for our daily chocolate cravings, these (refined-sugar-free) Tahini & Banana Chocolate Muffins are not only moist and rich, but they also carry lots of clean & healthy ingredients inside them. They make the perfect snack for grown-ups and kids alike. This recipe is super easy to prepare, because all the ingredients are simply mixed […]