Chicken & Chickpea Fatta
By shahdan • April 19, 2021
Flavourful chicken slices and lemony chickpeas are served over a bed of sumac-seasoned crispy bread and covered with a rich garlicky yoghurt-tahini sauce. This is an easy yet super tasty version of everyone’s favourite fatta.
For best results, make sure the yoghurt is at room temperature before assembling the dish. This will ensure that the fatta will be served nice and warm.
- 2 large shamy bread - خبز شامي
- 1.5 teaspoon sumac - سماق
- 4 tablespoon olive oil - زيت زيتون
- 2 large chicken breast fillet (sliced) - صدور فيليه الدجاج
- 500 gram yoghurt - زبادي
- 4 tablespoon tahini (straight from the jar) - طحينة
- 4 large garlic cloves (minced) - فصوص ثوم
- 2 medium lime - ليمون بلدي
- 1 can chickpeas - حمص
- 2 tablespoon pine nuts (toasted on a dry pan until golden) - صنوبر
- 1 handful parsley - بقدونس
- 3 tablespoon pomegranate seeds (can be replaced with cubed tomatoes) - بذور رمان
- salt and pepper (to taste) - ملح و فلفل
Step by step
- Use scissors to slice bread into small rectangles.
- Place bread on a large baking tray.Season with sumac and drizzle with 2 tablespoons olive oil. Use your hands to mix gently.
- Bake in 180C pre-heated oven until golden and crispy (about 10- 15 minutes).
- Season sliced chicken with sumac, salt and pepper.
- Heat remaining olive oil in a pan and cook chicken on all sides until cooked through. Squeeze one lime over cooked chicken slices and set aside.
- In a bowl, mix yoghurt with tahini and garlic. Season with salt and pepper.
- Drain chickpeas, rinse with fresh water, then season with juice of one lime, salt and pepper.
- To serve, arrange crispy bread on a serving plate. Scatter chicken and chickpeas over the bread, leaving the edges clear.
- Pour the yoghurt mixture over the chicken and chickpeas.
- Garnish with toasted pine nuts, pomegranate seeds and chopped parsley.
Chicken Salad Sandwich with Dried Cranberries
For a hassle-free morning, prepare this creamy chicken-salad sandwich filler one day in advance...
The Perfectly Roasted Quail
Impress your guests with this super easy-to-follow roasted quail dish. All you need to do...
Quinoa Mahshi Mesh Mahshi
An Egyptian classic with a nutritious modern twist is the best way to describe Quinoa Mahshi Mesh...
One Pot Chicken Freekeh
A one-pot meal, this chicken freekeh will be your favourite go to when you want a hearty and delicious meal the whole family will enjoy. You can also serve it in a gathering since it looks lovely in a big dish. Heartwarming, wholesome and delicious the Chicken Freekeh is definitely
Traditional Beef & Vegetables Soup
This traditional Beef & Vegetables Soup is not only colourful and delicious, butt it’s also nutrient-dense and a great choice for strong immunity. It’s all you need on cold winter days and when you’re feeling under the weather. It also makes a great Ramadan soup, and can be extra filling with added freekeh just like […]
Chicken Liver with Spinach & Chickpeas
This Chicken Liver with Spinach is a one pot main dish prepared in less than 45 minutes yet so good and hearty. It is the sort of dish that brings the family together over a nutritious meal and leaves everyone feeling great after. At CairoCooking, we are all about one pot, easy, nutritious and oh […]
Juicy Spinach-Stuffed Chicken Fillets
A delicious chicken dish that is easy to prepare and looks great on the table, the Spinach-stuffed Chicken Fillets is wholesome, high on protein and nutrients and really a full meal in a dish. The cheese addition is to add creaminess but you can omit it and still enjoy every bite. The tomato sauce suggested […]