Thai Shrimp Curry
By shahdan • April 26, 2015
Easy, exotic, and heavenly… Cook this dish to wow your guests or to treat your loved ones with a fine dining experience at home… Best served with white Basmati Rice.
- 500 gram shrimp (preferably tail-on medium shrimps) - جمبري
- 2 tablespoon sesame oil (you can substitute with sunflower oil) - زيت السمسم
- 3 medium spring onion - بصلة خضراء
- 3 large garlic cloves - فصوص ثوم
- 1/2 tablespoon curry (powder) - كاري
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric - كركم
- 1/2 can coconut milk (now available in cans in most supermarkets) - لبن جوز الهند
- 1/2 medium red bell pepper - فلفل رومي احمر
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger (grated fresh ginger) - جنزبيل
- 1 medium lemon - ليمون
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder (optional) - بودرة ثوم
- 1 pinch salt and pepper (or to taste) - ملح و فلفل
- 4 sprig coriander (to garnish) - كزبرة
Step by step
- Prepare everything in advance because once you start the stir-frying, you will need to be fast. First, wash the shrimps with fresh water, then add 1 lemon, salt, pepper and garlic powder.
- Next, prepare your veggies. Cut the spring onions diagonally into long strips, peel and grate the ginger, crush the garlic and cut the red bell pepper into thin strips.
- Now that you have everything ready, heat the oil in a wok or large pan. Add the garlic and ginger and stir using a wooden spoon, followed by the spring onions, curry and turmeric and stir fry for 30 seconds.
- Next, add the shrimps, and continue the stir frying for a minute, either by shaking the wok or carefully stirring with a wooden spoon.
- Now add the coconut milk, lower the heat and leave the shrimps to cook through (3-4 minutes).
- Add the red bell pepper (it's nice when the red bell pepper is not too soft), give it a quick stir and adjust salt and pepper.
- Garnish with fresh coriander leaves and serve.
Classic Egyptian Kahk
This is the recipe for the classic Egyptian Kahk that I bake every Eid Fitr with my children to...
This Coconut Ashoura is pure happiness in a bowl. It is deliciously creamy, super nutritious, and...
Homemade Bounty Bars
This dessert is based on 3 ingredients only yet delicious and easy to prepare! Your kids will...
One Pot Chicken Freekeh
A one-pot meal, this chicken freekeh will be your favourite go to when you want a hearty and delicious meal the whole family will enjoy. You can also serve it in a gathering since it looks lovely in a big dish. Heartwarming, wholesome and delicious the Chicken Freekeh is definitely
Traditional Beef & Vegetables Soup
This traditional Beef & Vegetables Soup is not only colourful and delicious, butt it’s also nutrient-dense and a great choice for strong immunity. It’s all you need on cold winter days and when you’re feeling under the weather. It also makes a great Ramadan soup, and can be extra filling with added freekeh just like […]
Chicken & Chickpea Fatta
Flavourful chicken slices and lemony chickpeas are served over a bed of sumac-seasoned crispy bread and covered with a rich garlicky yoghurt-tahini sauce. This is an easy yet super tasty version of everyone’s favourite fatta. For best results, make sure the yoghurt is at room temperature before assembling the dish. This will ensure that the […]
Chicken Liver with Spinach & Chickpeas
This Chicken Liver with Spinach is a one pot main dish prepared in less than 45 minutes yet so good and hearty. It is the sort of dish that brings the family together over a nutritious meal and leaves everyone feeling great after. At CairoCooking, we are all about one pot, easy, nutritious and oh […]