Rustic Cheese Tart
By shahdan • November 5, 2015
This cheese tart makes a sophisticated yet easy entertaining dish that you can prepare and bake in less than 30 minutes. It is also an incredibly versatile recipe that you can play with, and make it your own. Just use the same technique to prepare the tart, and experiment with your favourite toppings!
If you are using Balsamic glaze, why don’t you try CairoCookings homemade Balsamic Glaze.
- 1 pack puff pastry (400 g) - عجينة الباف باستري
- 1 handful flour (for dusting) - دقيق
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil - زيت الزيتون بكر
- 1 large garlic clove (crushed) - فص ثوم
- 200 gram feta cheese (good quality greek feta) - جبنه فيتا
- 2 medium tomato (thinly sliced) - طماطم
- 1 teaspoon oregano (or thyme) - أوريجانو/ زعتر
- 1 small egg (to brush edges) - بيضة
- 1 handful basil - ريحان
- 1 drizzle balsamic glaze/ reduction (optional) - مركز الخل البلسمي
Step by step
- Make sure your puff pastry is thoroughly defrosted before you start.
- Preheat the oven to 180C. Line your tray with parchment paper using a little oil on the tray so the paper sticks into place.
- Lightly dust your working surface and your rolling pin with flour. Roll out the dough into a rectangle shape to fit the size of your tray. It does not need to be perfect at all. Carefully move the dough to the tray.
- Use a knife to gently score a 1 cm border around your pastry. Using a fork, pierce the middle a few times.
- In a small bowl, mix 1 tablespoon olive oil with 1 crushed garlic clove, then brush the pastry with the oil and garlic, leaving out the borders clean.
- Crumble the feta cheese and spread them within the border. Spread the tomatoes on top of the cheese and sprinkle oregano on top.
- Lightly brush the borders with a little beaten egg.
- Bake for 10- 15 minutes until nice and golden.
- Carefully move your tart to your serving board or dish. Sprinkle fresh basil on top and add a drizzle of balsamic reduction. Best served warm.
Light Vegetarian Moussaka
A simple meatless version of our classic Moussaka. The homemade tomato sauce tastes divine with a...
Sugarless Banana Brownies
This banana brownies recipe is the one you go to when you have a sweet tooth or want to make your...
The Egyptian keshk is such a hearty and comforting Egyptian home-cooked dish. The fried...
Cheat Zaatar Mana’ish
We like to call it ‘cheat’ Mana’ish because this is definitely not the original recipe, however it is a super quick hassle-free variation without compromising on the delicious flavours… The dough does not need any resting time. Just bring it together, roll it out into your favourite shape and size, add your favourite topping and […]
Quick Homemade Pizza
You only need three main ingredients, (and about five minutes) to prepare this pizza dough for the quickest & most delicious homemade pizza. No kneading and no waiting time is required for the dough. Just mix the ingredients together, roll the dough out and get ready to add your favourite toppings. This recipe also includes […]
Some recipes are good to know by heart, like this Classic Crepe. It comes in handy in the weekends and school holidays when you want to prepare a fun breakfast for the family. Fillings are a personal choice and the options are endless. For sweet crepe, these can be served with sugar, jam, Nutella, or […]