Middle Eastern Open Minced Meat Pie
By shahdan • December 4, 2018
This Open Minced Beef Pie is a feast of Middle Eastern flavours. Whether at brunch, or dinner parties, it is always a show-stopper and a huge crowd pleaser.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil - زيت زيتون
- 1 large onion (finely chopped) - بصلة
- 1/2 kg minced meat - لحم مفروم
- 1/2 teaspoon all spice - بهارات
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon powder - قرفة
- 1 large lime - ليمون بلدي
- 1.5 tablespoon tahini (straight from the jar) + 1 tablespoon to spread over the dough - طحينة
- 1 tablespoon pomegranate molasses - دبس رمان
- 2 large tomatoes (deseeded & chopped into small cubes) - طماطم
- ½ bunch parsley (finely chopped + extra to garnish) - بقدونس
- 1 pack puff pastry (400 gram) - عجينة الباف باستري
- 1 handful flour (for dusting) - دقيق
- 1 small egg (for brushing) - بيضة
- 1 handful pine nuts - صنوبر
- 1 handful pomegranate seeds (optional) - بذور رمان
- salt and pepper (to taste) - ملح و فلفل
Step by step
- To prepare the minced beef, heat olive oil and sauté minced onion on low heat until soft (about 5 minutes). Add minced beef, season with all spice, cinnamon, and salt & pepper. Stir occasionally until meat is cooked and all juices are absorbed.
- Turn off the heat, and add lime juice, tahini, pomegranate molasses, tomatoes, parsley and mix gently. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 180C and line a tray with parchment paper.
- Lightly dust your working surface and rolling pin with flour and roll out the puff pastry dough into a rectangle shape that fits the size of the tray (about 25x35cm). Carefully move the dough to the tray.
- Gently fold 1 cm of the puff pastry borders all around to create a frame around the filling. Using a fork, pierce the middle of the dough a few times then brush it thoroughly with 1 tablespoon tahini. Then add the meat filling and spread it evenly.
- Brush the folded borders with the beaten egg and bake in the middle shelf until the borders are puffed and golden. If they don't color after 20 minutes, turn on the upper girl for 2 minutes.
- In the meantime, toast pine nuts by shaking them in a dry pan over medium heat until pine nuts are golden (about 3 minutes).
- Garnish the hot pie with pine nuts, fresh pomegranate seeds and chopped parsley. You can drizzle extra tahini or pomegranate molasses to taste. Serve warm.
White Beans Mayonnaise with a Kick
This is a great dressing for grilled meat replacing fatty mayonnaise and heavy sauces. You can...
Honey Lancashire Biscuits
These are traditional Lancashire biscuits, only healthier and cleaner replacing sugar with raw...
Quinoa Salad with Mint & Pomegranate Seeds
Light and refreshing, this quinoa salad tastes delicious and is packed with nutrients. It can be...
Cheat Zaatar Mana’ish
We like to call it ‘cheat’ Mana’ish because this is definitely not the original recipe, however it is a super quick hassle-free variation without compromising on the delicious flavours… The dough does not need any resting time. Just bring it together, roll it out into your favourite shape and size, add your favourite topping and […]
Quick Homemade Pizza
You only need three main ingredients, (and about five minutes) to prepare this pizza dough for the quickest & most delicious homemade pizza. No kneading and no waiting time is required for the dough. Just mix the ingredients together, roll the dough out and get ready to add your favourite toppings. This recipe also includes […]
Some recipes are good to know by heart, like this Classic Crepe. It comes in handy in the weekends and school holidays when you want to prepare a fun breakfast for the family. Fillings are a personal choice and the options are endless. For sweet crepe, these can be served with sugar, jam, Nutella, or […]