Mediterranean Vegetable Quinoa Salad
By shahdan • February 19, 2017
The Roasted Mediterranean Vegetable Quinoa is a perfect warm salad, side dish to your favourite protein, or a main vegan dish on its own. It is also a great option for the lunchbox. It is packed with super nutritious everyday ingredients and full of different textures, and deep flavours leaving you craving for more.
- 1 large eggplant (sliced) - باذنجان رومي
- 2 medium zucchini (sliced) - كوسة
- 2 large bell peppers (red & yellow) - فلفل ملون
- 2 tablespoon olive oil - زيت زيتون
- 2 medium garlic cloves (minced) - فصوص ثوم
- 1 cup quinoa - كينوا
- 2 cup water - ماء
- 2 tablespoon pine nuts - صنوبر
- 2 tablespoon parsley (chopped) - بقدونس
- 1 handful baby spinach (or regular baladi spinach) - سبانخ صغيرة
- 1/2 can chickpeas (half 400 gram can) - حمص
- 4 tablespoon balsamic vinegar - الخل البلسمي
- 2 tablespoon pomegranate molasses - دبس رمان
Step by step
- Slice the eggplants and zucchini into medium-thick circles. Cut bell peppers into strips. Mix olive oil with sea salt, freshly cracked black pepper and minced garlic. Rub cut veggies with the olive oil mix.
- Arrange the veggies as a single layer on a roasting pan and place in a 180C oven for 30 minutes, turning the veggies half way through, until soft.
- Wash quinoa, then place it in a medium pot covered with water and bring it to a boil. When it boils, lower heat to a minimum, cover and leave to simmer for 15 to 20 minutes. It is done when the water is absorbed and the quinoa is tender and fluffy. Set aside to cool.
- In the meantime, toast pine nuts in a dry pan on medium heat for about 3 minutes, shaking the pan occassionaly. Set aside.
- To prepare the dressing, mix balsamic vinegar with pomegranate molasses in a small jar and shake.
- Make sure roasted vegetables and quinoa have cooled a little before assembling so the spinach and parsley stay green and fresh.
- Place quinoa in a large bowl. Add roasted vegetables, chickpeas, chopped parsley and hand-torn spinach. Gently mix. Drizzle dressing, and sprinkle pine nuts on top.
Mustard & Rosemary Roasted Beef Fillet
This is such an easy recipe that it became a staple in our homes. The meat turns out tender...
Tasty Zucchini Waffles
This is a perfect way to sneak in some zucchini in your kids' breakfast waffles! And the good...
Simple Greens Chicken Broth
Nothing can replace a good homemade chicken broth. Prepare it in large quantities, freeze it, and...
Dried Fruits Crumble
Here is a Dried Fruits Crumble that can be served as dessert with ice cream, a brunch dish, a winter warmer or an addition to your yoghurt. It is infused with tea, preferably Earl Grey, and the nutty crumble topping spiced with cinnamon. It is a great dish for Ramadan Sohour as well where we […]
Spiced Potato & Peas
This spiced potato and peas recipe is the perfect side dish for any protein. It is filling, heartwarming and deliciously spiced, your family and friends will definitely be taking seconds.
Green Falafel Omelette
Falafel Omelette is an easy, nutritious and delicious breakfast/ brunch idea for those who want a filling healthy meal without the bread. This is a childhood recipe and it’s so close to my heart because I learned it from my grandmother. I use homemade Falafel Dough (Ta3meyya) that I prepare and freeze in batches because I […]
Cheat Zaatar Mana’ish
We like to call it ‘cheat’ Mana’ish because this is definitely not the original recipe, however it is a super quick hassle-free variation without compromising on the delicious flavours… The dough does not need any resting time. Just bring it together, roll it out into your favourite shape and size, add your favourite topping and […]