Light One-Pot Okra
By Shereen Badawi • May 11, 2016
This is the vegan version of my mother’s ‘nayy fe nayy bamia’. While she uses stock, I like to cook it with water and little olive oil to make it lighter.
- 1 large onion - بصلة
- 1 large tomato - طماطم
- 1 pack okra (frozen) about 400 grams - بامية
- 5 medium garlic clove - فص ثوم
- 1.5 cup water - ماء
- 2 tablespoon olive oil - زيت زيتون
- salt and pepper (to taste) - ملح و فلفل
- 2 lime (OR to taste) - ليمون بلدي
Step by step
- Slice onions and tomatoes into circles.
- Arrange a layer of onions at the bottom of a medium pot followed by a layer of tomato slices. Pour okra on top squeezing in whole garlic cloves. Add water and let it cook over medium heat until it boils.
- Lower heat to let the okra to cook through until soft (water should be mostly absorbed) about 20 minutes.
- Drizzle with olive oil, lime juice and salt and pepper and let it simmer for another 5 minutes. Serve warm.
No-Recipe Roasted Vegetable Platter
This is a very simple recipe that goes a long way. I like to serve it on almost every dinner party...
Labna & Dukka Baladi Sandwich
Such a simple day to day sandwich. You can have the filling prepared and ready in the fridge for a...
Delicious Breakfast: Millet Porridge with Dates & Blueberries
Millet has replaced oats in my book for some time now. I love the texture of it, it tastes more...
Dried Fruits Crumble
Here is a Dried Fruits Crumble that can be served as dessert with ice cream, a brunch dish, a winter warmer or an addition to your yoghurt. It is infused with tea, preferably Earl Grey, and the nutty crumble topping spiced with cinnamon. It is a great dish for Ramadan Sohour as well where we […]
Green Falafel Omelette
Falafel Omelette is an easy, nutritious and delicious breakfast/ brunch idea for those who want a filling healthy meal without the bread. This is a childhood recipe and it’s so close to my heart because I learned it from my grandmother. I use homemade Falafel Dough (Ta3meyya) that I prepare and freeze in batches because I […]
Traditional Beef & Vegetables Soup
This traditional Beef & Vegetables Soup is not only colourful and delicious, butt it’s also nutrient-dense and a great choice for strong immunity. It’s all you need on cold winter days and when you’re feeling under the weather. It also makes a great Ramadan soup, and can be extra filling with added freekeh just like […]
Chicken Liver with Spinach & Chickpeas
This Chicken Liver with Spinach is a one pot main dish prepared in less than 45 minutes yet so good and hearty. It is the sort of dish that brings the family together over a nutritious meal and leaves everyone feeling great after. At CairoCooking, we are all about one pot, easy, nutritious and oh […]