Lentil & Beetroot Salad
By yasmine • January 11, 2018
This simple lentils & beetroot salad is wholesome and filling during winter and summer. It’s a great for post-workout or late night snack. The lentils also hold themselves well for your lunchbox in case you’re on the go.
- 2 cup brown lentils - عدس بني
- 1/2 kg beetroot - بنجر
- 1 red onion (thinly sliced) - بصلة حمراء
- 1 handful parsley (finely chopped) - بقدونس
- 2 tablespoon vinegar - خل
- 2 garlic clove (sliced) - فص ثوم
- 1 onion (cut into chunks) - بصلة
- salt and pepper - ملح و فلفل
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin - كمون
- 3 tablespoon olive oil - زيت زيتون
- 1 lime (juiced) - ليمون بلدي
Step by step
- Wash lentils and place it in a medium pot. Cover with water. Add onion chunks, garlic, salt & pepper, and cumin. Bring to a boil then lower heat and let it simmer for 30 minutes or until cooked through but not mushy.
- In the meantime, add whole beetroot to a medium pot and cover it with water. Bring it to a boil then let it simmer until beetroot is cooked through.
- Put sliced red onions in a small bowl with vinegar for 10 minutes before using.
- Scoop cooked lentils out of the water and place it in a salad bowl. Discard of onion and garlic.
- Peel cooked beetroot and slice it in half circles. Season with salt & pepper then add it to the lentils. Drain sliced red onions and add to lentils. Sprinkle chopped parsley.
- Drizzle olive oil and lime juice. Stir the salad and adjust seasoning to taste. Serve warm or cold. It can last up to 3 days in the fridge where the taste gets better.
Honey Lancashire Biscuits
These are traditional Lancashire biscuits, only healthier and cleaner replacing sugar with raw...
Easy Shrimp Stir-Fry
This is a very easy dinner party dish that will wow your guests. It is also loaded with healthy...
Honey Cinnamon Toasties
From 12 months. Make your kids happy with those yummy sweet toasties. Healthy, super simple, and...
Dried Fruits Crumble
Here is a Dried Fruits Crumble that can be served as dessert with ice cream, a brunch dish, a winter warmer or an addition to your yoghurt. It is infused with tea, preferably Earl Grey, and the nutty crumble topping spiced with cinnamon. It is a great dish for Ramadan Sohour as well where we […]
Spiced Potato & Peas
This spiced potato and peas recipe is the perfect side dish for any protein. It is filling, heartwarming and deliciously spiced, your family and friends will definitely be taking seconds.
Green Falafel Omelette
Falafel Omelette is an easy, nutritious and delicious breakfast/ brunch idea for those who want a filling healthy meal without the bread. This is a childhood recipe and it’s so close to my heart because I learned it from my grandmother. I use homemade Falafel Dough (Ta3meyya) that I prepare and freeze in batches because I […]
Cheat Zaatar Mana’ish
We like to call it ‘cheat’ Mana’ish because this is definitely not the original recipe, however it is a super quick hassle-free variation without compromising on the delicious flavours… The dough does not need any resting time. Just bring it together, roll it out into your favourite shape and size, add your favourite topping and […]