Late Night Date & Custard Pie
By yasmine • May 17, 2015
This Date & Custard Pie is a result of a ready-made pie crust from Gourmet and the love for black dates on a cold winter night! I had the remaining dates in the fridge cut in half and placed face down on that pie crust -and kept going back and forth looking at it and thinking what should I do next! It obviously needed a creamy topping – so I opted for a traditional custard (I had the ingredients for it) Result? Not traditional at all! Move away pumpkin pies and apple pies – the Egyptian date pie is here!
- ½ kg dates (peeled, pitted & halved) - بلح
- 1 pie crust (20cm diameter ready-baked pie crust or pie crust dough) - شورت كراست
- 1½ cup milk - لبن
- 2 eggs - بيض
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract - خلاصة الفانيليا
- ¼ cup sugar - سكر
- pinch nutmeg - جوزة الطيب
- pinch salt - ملح
Step by step
- Preheat oven to 220C.
- Place the date halves face down on the pie crust to cover the whole bottom. You can also place a couple of date pieces as a second row.
- To prepare the custard, heat the milk. Meanwhile, whisk eggs with vanilla, sugar, salt and nutmeg.
- Add little hot milk on the eggs mixture and whisk further to temper it. Then continue to add the hot milk slowly as you whisk.
- Pour the custard mix on the dates and place the pie in the middle of the oven as you decrease temperature to 180C. It should bake for 50-60 min if the crust was still uncooked – and 40 minutes if the crust is precooked.
This pan-seared scallops recipe is very easy and simple. Scallops are highly nutritious, full of...
Light Vegetarian Moussaka
A simple meatless version of our classic Moussaka. The homemade tomato sauce tastes divine with a...
Banana & Date Whole-Wheat Cake
I came across a lot of baking recipes when I tried to introduce my toddler to sweets without adding...
Dried Fruits Crumble
Here is a Dried Fruits Crumble that can be served as dessert with ice cream, a brunch dish, a winter warmer or an addition to your yoghurt. It is infused with tea, preferably Earl Grey, and the nutty crumble topping spiced with cinnamon. It is a great dish for Ramadan Sohour as well where we […]
Spiced Potato & Peas
This spiced potato and peas recipe is the perfect side dish for any protein. It is filling, heartwarming and deliciously spiced, your family and friends will definitely be taking seconds.
Green Falafel Omelette
Falafel Omelette is an easy, nutritious and delicious breakfast/ brunch idea for those who want a filling healthy meal without the bread. This is a childhood recipe and it’s so close to my heart because I learned it from my grandmother. I use homemade Falafel Dough (Ta3meyya) that I prepare and freeze in batches because I […]
Cheat Zaatar Mana’ish
We like to call it ‘cheat’ Mana’ish because this is definitely not the original recipe, however it is a super quick hassle-free variation without compromising on the delicious flavours… The dough does not need any resting time. Just bring it together, roll it out into your favourite shape and size, add your favourite topping and […]