Fool-Proof One-Pot Molokheya
By shahdan • March 30, 2015
When it comes to Molokheya, everyone has a personal favourite. Some like it more garlicky, thicker or thinner. I found this recipe perfect for my family, but you can use it as a guideline and add or reduce garlic.
Check out our simple homemade Chicken Broth recipe.
- 1 pack molokheya frozen - ملوخية
- 1 1/2 tablespoon sunflower oil (or half oil half butter) - زيت عباد الشمس
- 4 large garlic cloves (crushed) - فصوص ثوم
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander - كسبرة ناشفة
- 500 ml chicken broth/stock - مرقة دجاج
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar (optional) - سكر
- 1 pinch salt and pepper (to taste) - ملح و فلفل
Step by step
- Start in the same pot that you are using for the molokheya, you do not need a separate pan for ta2leya! Add the crushed garlic and coriander to the hot oil/butter on a low heat for 30 - 50seconds, be careful you do not want the garlic to burn. You can also add a little salt and pepper. At this point you will smell the lovely aroma of garlic and coriander.
- Add the hot chicken stock on the ta2leyya, in the same pot, followed by the bag of frozen molokheya (while it’s frozen).
- On a very low heat, leave the molokheya to take its time and melt into the chicken stock. Note: do not stir molokheya, it only ruins it. Another note: molokheya should never boil.
- It will take its time to melt... when it does and before it boils, turn off the heat... you can add the sugar and stir to a minimum. (Sugar brings out the yummy molokheya flavour).
- Taste and adjust salt and pepper if needed (depends on the saltiness of your chicken stock), and that's it.
- If you won’t eat immediately and will re-heat before serving, make sure again that it doesn't boil, and don't stir or stir to the minimum when needed! How easy is that?
Leave a comment
One response to “Fool-Proof One-Pot Molokheya”
Leave a Reply
Cozy Cauliflower Soup
الوصفة بالعربي This soup is the perfect hug in a mug. Even those who wouldn't...
Shortcut Baked Apple Crumble
This is such a simple winter dessert, you will find yourself doing again and again. You don't even...
Creamy Two Salmon & Onion Lasagne
This Creamy Two Salmon & Onion Lasagne is known as Lasagnes Aux Deux Saumons in its native,...
Dried Fruits Crumble
Here is a Dried Fruits Crumble that can be served as dessert with ice cream, a brunch dish, a winter warmer or an addition to your yoghurt. It is infused with tea, preferably Earl Grey, and the nutty crumble topping spiced with cinnamon. It is a great dish for Ramadan Sohour as well where we […]
Green Falafel Omelette
Falafel Omelette is an easy, nutritious and delicious breakfast/ brunch idea for those who want a filling healthy meal without the bread. This is a childhood recipe and it’s so close to my heart because I learned it from my grandmother. I use homemade Falafel Dough (Ta3meyya) that I prepare and freeze in batches because I […]
Traditional Beef & Vegetables Soup
This traditional Beef & Vegetables Soup is not only colourful and delicious, butt it’s also nutrient-dense and a great choice for strong immunity. It’s all you need on cold winter days and when you’re feeling under the weather. It also makes a great Ramadan soup, and can be extra filling with added freekeh just like […]
Chicken Liver with Spinach & Chickpeas
This Chicken Liver with Spinach is a one pot main dish prepared in less than 45 minutes yet so good and hearty. It is the sort of dish that brings the family together over a nutritious meal and leaves everyone feeling great after. At CairoCooking, we are all about one pot, easy, nutritious and oh […]
Made this today ! Very easy and delicious