Fool-Proof One-Pot Molokheya
By shahdan • March 30, 2015
When it comes to Molokheya, everyone has a personal favourite. Some like it more garlicky, thicker or thinner. I found this recipe perfect for my family, but you can use it as a guideline and add or reduce garlic.
Check out our simple homemade Chicken Broth recipe.
- 1 pack molokheya frozen - ملوخية
- 1 1/2 tablespoon sunflower oil (or half oil half butter) - زيت عباد الشمس
- 4 large garlic cloves (crushed) - فصوص ثوم
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander - كسبرة ناشفة
- 500 ml chicken broth/stock - مرقة دجاج
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar (optional) - سكر
- 1 pinch salt and pepper (to taste) - ملح و فلفل
Step by step
- Start in the same pot that you are using for the molokheya, you do not need a separate pan for ta2leya! Add the crushed garlic and coriander to the hot oil/butter on a low heat for 30 - 50seconds, be careful you do not want the garlic to burn. You can also add a little salt and pepper. At this point you will smell the lovely aroma of garlic and coriander.
- Add the hot chicken stock on the ta2leyya, in the same pot, followed by the bag of frozen molokheya (while it’s frozen).
- On a very low heat, leave the molokheya to take its time and melt into the chicken stock. Note: do not stir molokheya, it only ruins it. Another note: molokheya should never boil.
- It will take its time to melt... when it does and before it boils, turn off the heat... you can add the sugar and stir to a minimum. (Sugar brings out the yummy molokheya flavour).
- Taste and adjust salt and pepper if needed (depends on the saltiness of your chicken stock), and that's it.
- If you won’t eat immediately and will re-heat before serving, make sure again that it doesn't boil, and don't stir or stir to the minimum when needed! How easy is that?
Popcorn Granola Trailmix
Your kids will love this Popcorn Granola Trailmix in their lunchbox. It is also so nutritious and...
This good-for-you koshary dish can easily beat your traditional one. Made from nutritious...
Fresh Coriander & Cucumber Salad
Serve and enjoy this salad with CairoCooking's Asian dishes. With super simple ingredients, this...
Dried Fruits Crumble
Here is a Dried Fruits Crumble that can be served as dessert with ice cream, a brunch dish, a winter warmer or an addition to your yoghurt. It is infused with tea, preferably Earl Grey, and the nutty crumble topping spiced with cinnamon. It is a great dish for Ramadan Sohour as well where we […]
Green Falafel Omelette
Falafel Omelette is an easy, nutritious and delicious breakfast/ brunch idea for those who want a filling healthy meal without the bread. This is a childhood recipe and it’s so close to my heart because I learned it from my grandmother. I use homemade Falafel Dough (Ta3meyya) that I prepare and freeze in batches because I […]
Traditional Beef & Vegetables Soup
This traditional Beef & Vegetables Soup is not only colourful and delicious, butt it’s also nutrient-dense and a great choice for strong immunity. It’s all you need on cold winter days and when you’re feeling under the weather. It also makes a great Ramadan soup, and can be extra filling with added freekeh just like […]
Chicken Liver with Spinach & Chickpeas
This Chicken Liver with Spinach is a one pot main dish prepared in less than 45 minutes yet so good and hearty. It is the sort of dish that brings the family together over a nutritious meal and leaves everyone feeling great after. At CairoCooking, we are all about one pot, easy, nutritious and oh […]