No-Bake Cheesy Spinach Bechamel
By shahdan • May 8, 2015
This Cheesy Spinach Bechamel recipe is fast, easy and perfect for everyday when you don’t have much time to cook and still fancy a hearty meal. It is the perfect creamy companion for grilled meat, chicken and fish… My family believes it is much tastier than the traditional spinach béchamel, and they are more impressed that I prepare it in no time at all. I also like to serve it in dinner parties to replace the boring vegetable dishes that are usually left untouched.
- 1 pack spinach (400 g frozen spinach) - سبانخ
- 1.5 cup milk - لبن
- 2 tablespoon vegetable oil (or butter) - زيت نباتي
- 1.5 tablespoon flour - دقيق
- 2 slice gouda cheese (or handful grated cheese) - جبن جودة
- 1 pinch nutmeg - جوزة الطيب
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder - بودرة ثوم
- 1 tablespoon pine nuts (optional) - صنوبر
- 1 pinch salt and pepper - ملح و فلفل
Step by step
- Place the frozen spinach in a covered pan, with 1/4 cup of water, on a very low heat to defrost.
- In the meantime, you need to do the béchamel. In a pot, add the oil or butter. Stir in the flour, and mix it with the oil. You should leave it to bubble for 30 seconds so the flour cooks. If you skip this step the béchamel will taste like raw flour.
- Add the milk and whisk on a low heat until the béchamel starts to thicken.
- Season the béchamel with salt, pepper, nutmeg and garlic powder.
- When the béchamel reaches the required thickness, add the cheese (cut into small pieces) and whisk so the cheese melts in the béchamel. Put aside.
- Shake the pine nuts in a dry pan over low heat until they are nice and golden (1-2 minutes). You do not need to use any oil, as the pine nuts release their natural oils when heated. Set aside.
- By then the spinach will be defrosted. Remove from heat and use a sieve to squeeze out all the water from the spinach.
- Mix the spinach with the béchamel, adjust the seasoning using salt and pepper, and leave to simmer on a low heat for 3 minutes, and you are ready to serve.
- Sprinkle pine nuts on top and serve immediately.
Freekeh Beraam With Chicken
This Freekeh Beraam with Chicken is a perfect comfort dish with all the delicious beraam flavours...
Baked Sweet Potato Fish Pie
From 9 months. My kids started eating fish at 8 and 9 months but every doctor has a different...
Leeks are a special crop that comes in season in short intervals. It is commonly used in our...
Chocolate Peanut Butter Rice Cakes
Talk about a pick me up snack or a breakfast cookie that keeps you full and satisfies your sugar tooth, this chocolate peanut butter rice cake is what you mean! Crispy, with a creamy naturally sweetened center (banana-sweetened!) and a chocolate cover with a sprinkle of sea salt…delicious and comforting is an understatement. […]
These Truffle Potatoes are so easy to prepare yet have bangs of flavor and yumminess. It is a special side dish to your fillet or fish dish. If you cant find baby potatoes, cut large potatoes in large cubes – same size as half baby potatoes. Also, make sure you get a good quality truffle […]
Green Falafel Omelette
Falafel Omelette is an easy, nutritious and delicious breakfast/ brunch idea for those who want a filling healthy meal without the bread. This is a childhood recipe and it’s so close to my heart because I learned it from my grandmother. I use homemade Falafel Dough (Ta3meyya) that I prepare and freeze in batches because I […]
Leeks are a special crop that comes in season in short intervals. It is commonly used in our Falafel but there are so many other ways to enjoy its freshness and uniqueness, like this Leek & Potato Soup. This recipe can be ready in 30 minutes, and a perfect side dish to all protein.