El-Mouled Gingerbread Cookies
By Shewekar Elgharably • December 23, 2015
When a classic christmassy recipe meets a very authentic presentation..Just the perfect way to celebrate El Mouled El Nabawi and Christams…
We cannot say much, the picture says it ALL!!! And we can’t help but wonder where she found those super special cookie cutters… As for the moon-shaped ones, you can use a regular cup to make simple circles, then use the same cup again to cut out the circle into a moon-shape!
This recipe yields around 20 medium sized cookies.
- 2 1/2 cup flour - دقيق
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda - بيكربونات الصودا
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon powder - قرفة
- 1/2 teaspoon salt - ملح
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper - فلفل أسود
- 1 teaspoon ginger powder - بودرة جنزبيل
- 1 teaspoon cloves - قرنفل
- 1 medium lemon peel - قشر ليمونة
- 1 medium orange peel - قشر برتقال
- 1/2 cup butter (at room temperature) - زبدة
- 1 cup brown sugar - سكر بني
- 1/2 cup sugar - سكر
- 1 large egg - بيضة
- 1/2 cup molasses - عسل أسود
- 2 cup icing sugar - سكر بودرة
- 5- 6 tablespoon water - ماء
- food colouring (optional) - ألوان للطعام
Step by step
- Preheat the oven to 180C. Line your baking tray with parchment paper.
- In a bowl, mix all the dry ingredients together with the zest of one orange and one lemon. Set aside.
- In another bowl mix the wet ingredients: beat the butter with the sugar, molasses, and one egg until well combined.
- Gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix with your hands until the dough comes together into a ball. For best results, place it wrapped in cling film in the fridge for 15-30 minutes.
- Dust your working surface, your rolling pin and cookie cutters with a little flour. Roll out the dough until it's 4- 5 mm thick. Use the cookie cutters to cut out the cookie shapes and arrange them on the baking tray (about 3 cm apart).
- Use your hands to work the remaining dough into another ball and repeat the process.
- Bake the cookies for 10- 12 minutes or until golden. Remove from the oven and allow them to cool on the tray before you transfer them to a cooling rack.
- For the icing, mix the icing sugar with the water until you reach a smooth yet relatively thick consistency. (Add one tablespoon at a time because you might not need the full quantity of water).
- If you are using food colouring, divide the icing into different bowls, and add one drop of each colour to the different bowls and mix.
- Use piping bags to decorate the cookies. Allow the icing to dry before serving.
Roasted Beets & Carrot Soup
الوصفة بالعربي In season, summer root vegetables marry well together, creating a...
Seared Tuna Salad
It's filling, fast, low calorie and delicious for seafood lovers! Recipe submitted by Sarah...
Salmon Teriyaki made at home and at a fraction of the restaurant price! It’s time to impress! ...
Dried Fruits Crumble
Here is a Dried Fruits Crumble that can be served as dessert with ice cream, a brunch dish, a winter warmer or an addition to your yoghurt. It is infused with tea, preferably Earl Grey, and the nutty crumble topping spiced with cinnamon. It is a great dish for Ramadan Sohour as well where we […]
Green Falafel Omelette
Falafel Omelette is an easy, nutritious and delicious breakfast/ brunch idea for those who want a filling healthy meal without the bread. This is a childhood recipe and it’s so close to my heart because I learned it from my grandmother. I use homemade Falafel Dough (Ta3meyya) that I prepare and freeze in batches because I […]
Traditional Beef & Vegetables Soup
This traditional Beef & Vegetables Soup is not only colourful and delicious, butt it’s also nutrient-dense and a great choice for strong immunity. It’s all you need on cold winter days and when you’re feeling under the weather. It also makes a great Ramadan soup, and can be extra filling with added freekeh just like […]
Chicken Liver with Spinach & Chickpeas
This Chicken Liver with Spinach is a one pot main dish prepared in less than 45 minutes yet so good and hearty. It is the sort of dish that brings the family together over a nutritious meal and leaves everyone feeling great after. At CairoCooking, we are all about one pot, easy, nutritious and oh […]