Butter & Herb Smashed Potatoes
By shahdan • October 28, 2018
These Butter & Herb Smashed Potatoes are a joy to prepare and to eat. There is something comforting about smashing the boiled unpeeled potatoes before roasting, and brushing them with the butter, garlic and herb mixture.
They crisp up from the outside, while the inside stays soft and creamy, making it a delicious comfort food served on its own (sour cream and chives on the side) or next to your favourite protein and green salad.
- 8 small potatoes - بطاطس
- 3 tablespoon butter (melted) - زبدة
- 2 large garlic cloves (minced) - فصوص ثوم
- 1 teaspoon oregano - أوريجانو/ زعتر
- 1 handful parsley (to garnish) - بقدونس
- salt and pepper (to taste) - ملح و فلفل
Step by step
- Wash potatoes and place them unpeeled in a large pot covered with water. Leave to boil on medium heat until soft from inside. Drain and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 200C. Arrange potatoes on lightly greased baking tray. Using a potato smasher or a fork, press on each potato to flatten making sure each potato still holds its shape as one piece.
- In a small bowl, mix melted butter with garlic and oregano.
- Generously brush potatoes with the butter mixture. Don't discard any leftover butter.
- Season potatoes with salt and pepper and bake until golden crisp from outside (10-15 minutes depending on your oven). You may use the grill in the last 2 minutes.
- Arrange on serving plate. Brush with any leftover butter and garnish with fresh parsley.
Traditional Kolkas with Green Herbs
I can't imagine any Egyptian growing up not eating Kolkas! Even my husband, who was never a fan of...
Oven-Baked Breaded Kofta (Kofta Panee)
This is a new "improved" recipe for everyone's favourite kofta panee! It is oven-baked to...
Light Garlic Green Beans with Pine Nuts
A change to traditional green beans recipes, these garlicky green beans with pine nuts make a...
These Truffle Potatoes are so easy to prepare yet have bangs of flavor and yumminess. It is a special side dish to your fillet or fish dish. If you cant find baby potatoes, cut large potatoes in large cubes – same size as half baby potatoes. Also, make sure you get a good quality truffle […]
Spiced Potato & Peas
This spiced potato and peas recipe is the perfect side dish for any protein. It is filling, heartwarming and deliciously spiced, your family and friends will definitely be taking seconds.
One Pot Chicken Freekeh
A one-pot meal, this chicken freekeh will be your favourite go to when you want a hearty and delicious meal the whole family will enjoy. You can also serve it in a gathering since it looks lovely in a big dish. Heartwarming, wholesome and delicious the Chicken Freekeh is definitely
Traditional Rice Me’ammar is always a great crowd pleaser on the table. It is creamy, delicious and definitely an easy dish to prepare. The most challenging part however is the oven baking which might require your full attention, especially if you are baking this dish for the first time and still getting to know your […]