Warm Chestnut Soup with Garlic Breadcrumbs
By Fayza Riad • February 2, 2021
I tried the chestnut soup in London back in 2013 and ever since then I wanted to prepare it myself and I just did this winter. It turned out super warm and yummy.
The original recipe ingredients includes cream, I used skimmed milk instead and it still turned out creamy since chestnuts are already somewhat fatty. You can also use your choice of nut milk.
To prepare/cook the chestnuts for using – there several ways – check this link: http://www.wikihow.com/Cook-Chestnuts
Once the chestnuts are cooked, this soup takes less than 20 minutes.
- 1 small onion (diced) - بصلة
- 2 cup chestnuts (boiled or roasted, chopped)
- 2 tablespoon olive oil - زيت زيتون
- 2 cup chicken broth/stock - مرقة دجاج
- 2 cup skimmed milk (OR unsweetened oat or almond milk) - لبن منزوع الدسم
- For the breadcrumbs:
- 2 tablespoon butter (or 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided) - زبدة
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs (OR chopped raw walnuts) - بقسماط
- 1 garlic (minced) - ثوم
- 1 teaspoon thyme (freshly chopped) - زعتر
- 2 garlic cloves (minced) - فصوص ثوم
Step by step
- In a medium soup pot, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil and fry minced onion until translucent (about 7-8 minutes.) Stir in minced garlic.
- Add chopped chestnuts, hot chicken broth, & milk. Sprinkle thyme & season with salt and pepper. Bring the mix to a boil. Cover, lower heat and let it simmer for 10 minutes.
- Use a handheld mixer or transfer your soup to a food processor and pulse until it is completely creamed.
- For the breadcrumbs, heat olive oil in a medium pan, then add minced garlic, breadcrumbs and fresh oregano. Stir for a couple of minutes on low heat to combine.
- Serve breadcrumbs next to the warm soup and enjoy!
Quick Chicken & Broccoli Stir Fry
Transform everyday ingredients such as chicken, carrots and broccoli into an elegant and super...
Homemade Bounty Bars
This dessert is based on 3 ingredients only yet delicious and easy to prepare! Your kids will...
Light Sharkaseya & Chicken Dish
This is a simple and straightforward (and light) recipe for traditional Sharkaseya... Recipe by...
Chocolate Peanut Butter Rice Cakes
Talk about a pick me up snack or a breakfast cookie that keeps you full and satisfies your sugar tooth, this chocolate peanut butter rice cake is what you mean! Crispy, with a creamy naturally sweetened center (banana-sweetened!) and a chocolate cover with a sprinkle of sea salt…delicious and comforting is an understatement. […]
Dried Fruits Crumble
Here is a Dried Fruits Crumble that can be served as dessert with ice cream, a brunch dish, a winter warmer or an addition to your yoghurt. It is infused with tea, preferably Earl Grey, and the nutty crumble topping spiced with cinnamon. It is a great dish for Ramadan Sohour as well where we […]
White Beans with Zucchini and Spinach
This White Beans with Zucchini and Spinach recipe is so simple, yet so delicious! White beans cooked in broth, garlic and lime juice make for one tasty side dish. Perfect for mid-week meals and even cold for breakfast!