Orange & Cardamom Rice Pudding
By shahdan • May 24, 2015
Add a fragrant twist to this all time classic…
- 1/2 cup rice (Egyptian rice) - أرز
- 4 cup water - ماء
- 1 liter milk - لبن
- 6 tablespoon sugar (or to taste) - سكر
- 3 tablespoon corn flour - نشا
- 2 large orange (use zest only) - برتقالة
- 4 pod cardamom - حبهان
Step by step
- Soak the rice in water for 15 minutes.
- Discard the water and add 4 cups of room temperature water to the rice and cook on medium heat. When it boils lower the heat and leave to simmer until the rice is cooked and the water is absorbed.
- Dissolve the corn flour in 1/4 cup milk and set aside.
- Heat the remaining milk with the orange zest, cardamom pods (after you crack them open), and add the sugar. Stir the mix and make sure the sugar is dissolved. As the milk simmers it will be infused with the lovely orange cardamom aroma.
- When the rice is cooked, use a sieve to strain the aromatic milk into the rice. Add the milk with the dissolved corn flour and keep stirring on a medium heat until you achieve the required consistency. (If you don't stir, the rice will stick to the bottom of the pot and burn.)
- Pour the pudding in your favourite bowls, leave to cool, then garnish with extra orange zest and pop in the fridge.
Quinoa Mahshi Mesh Mahshi
An Egyptian classic with a nutritious modern twist is the best way to describe Quinoa Mahshi Mesh...
The Freshest Greens-Based Stock
This recipe is based on my daily green juice greens and veggies. This stock can be used when...
Traditional Anise Seeds Biscuits
These Anise Seeds Biscuits are a trip down memory lane for my family. Preparing them and filling...
Dried Fruits Crumble
Here is a Dried Fruits Crumble that can be served as dessert with ice cream, a brunch dish, a winter warmer or an addition to your yoghurt. It is infused with tea, preferably Earl Grey, and the nutty crumble topping spiced with cinnamon. It is a great dish for Ramadan Sohour as well where we […]
Spiced Potato & Peas
This spiced potato and peas recipe is the perfect side dish for any protein. It is filling, heartwarming and deliciously spiced, your family and friends will definitely be taking seconds.
Green Falafel Omelette
Falafel Omelette is an easy, nutritious and delicious breakfast/ brunch idea for those who want a filling healthy meal without the bread. This is a childhood recipe and it’s so close to my heart because I learned it from my grandmother. I use homemade Falafel Dough (Ta3meyya) that I prepare and freeze in batches because I […]
Cheat Zaatar Mana’ish
We like to call it ‘cheat’ Mana’ish because this is definitely not the original recipe, however it is a super quick hassle-free variation without compromising on the delicious flavours… The dough does not need any resting time. Just bring it together, roll it out into your favourite shape and size, add your favourite topping and […]