Bolognese Sauce with Hidden Veggies
By shahdan • May 30, 2016
A relatively long list of ingredients, but it guarantees one wholesome meal for your family. It is full of minced beef, healthy vegetables and fresh tomatoes so it is perfect for children who do not eat lots of veggies. Serve it on spaghetti, or on little pasta shells for younger children who like to eat their pasta with a spoon.
- 2 tablespoon olive oil (or vegetable oil) - زيت زيتون
- 1 large onion (diced) - بصلة
- 1 large carrot (grated) - جزرة
- 2-3 large zucchini (grated) - كوسة
- 2 stick celery (diced) - كرفس افرنجي
- 1 handful spinach (optional) - سبانخ
- 3 large garlic cloves (crushed) - فصوص ثوم
- 1 teaspoon thyme (or 3 fresh sprigs) - زعتر
- 500 gram minced meat - لحم مفروم
- 500 gram tomatoes (diced) - طماطم
- 500 gram tomatoes (pureed fresh tomatoes in the food processor with ¼ cup water ) - طماطم
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar - سكر
- 2 teaspoon tomato paste - معجون طماطم / صلصة طماطم
- 1 bay leaf - ورق لاورا
- salt and pepper (to taste) - ملح و فلفل
- 1 handful basil - ريحان
Step by step
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a pot. Add diced onions and celery. Cook for around 5 minutes on medium/low heat, until onion is transparent and soft but not brown.
- Add the grated carrots, zucchini, crushed garlic and stir for another 3 minutes.
- Add minced beef, 1 teaspoon salt, ¼ teaspoon pepper, and use a wooden spoon to crumble and mix the beef with the veggies. The beef will release its water. Leave to cook until it has absorbed most of its juices (about 10-15 minutes).
- You may add a handful finely chopped fresh spinach leaves if you choose to.
- Add chopped tomatoes and tomato juice, sugar, bay leaf, thyme and tomato paste for a richer red colour. Sugar balances the taste of sour tomatoes.
- Stir everything together, cover and leave to simmer on the lowest heat for 45-60 minutes.
- Serve it with your favourite pasta and garnish with fresh basil.
- (A useful shortcut, is to substitute the fresh chopped tomatoes and the tomato juice with two large jars of any ready-made pasta sauce (in step 5), and follow the rest of the directions, bearing in mind the sauce will not need to simmer for more than 30 minutes.
Salmon Philadelphia Sushi Roll
Always thought sushi is difficult to make but it turned out easy to prepare at home in no time. The...
Halawa & Chocolate Spread
Recipe by Jummana Lotfy. Egyptian Nutella, as my kids like to call it, is an easy recipe for...
Egyptian Fatta with Beef Cubes
This is the Traditional Egyptian Fatta we grew up smelling and eating in our homes on feast days...
Chocolate Peanut Butter Rice Cakes
Talk about a pick me up snack or a breakfast cookie that keeps you full and satisfies your sugar tooth, this chocolate peanut butter rice cake is what you mean! Crispy, with a creamy naturally sweetened center (banana-sweetened!) and a chocolate cover with a sprinkle of sea salt…delicious and comforting is an understatement. […]
Yummy Oat Pancakes served with dates and bananas, and generously drizzled with a tahini-molasses syrup… this is a healthy and nutritious way to start your day.
Classic 1-2-3-4 Marble Cake
Classic 1-2-3-4 cake is the first cake I learned to bake with my mother. As a child, I really appreciated the fact that the cake name helped me memorise and learn the basic cake proportions by heart: ONE for 1 cup milk and 1 cup butter, TWO for 2 cups sugar, THREE for 3 cups […]
Tahini & Banana Chocolate Muffins
Perfect for our daily chocolate cravings, these (refined-sugar-free) Tahini & Banana Chocolate Muffins are not only moist and rich, but they also carry lots of clean & healthy ingredients inside them. They make the perfect snack for grown-ups and kids alike. This recipe is super easy to prepare, because all the ingredients are simply mixed […]