The Greenest Falafel Dough (Ta3meyya)
By shahdan • June 8, 2015
It’s time to give home-made ta3meyya dough a chance! Why buy it when the home-made one is extremely easy to prepare! With basic beans and lots of greens, ta3meyya is one of those healthy nutritious vegetarian foods that are worth every little effort. Preparing the dough at home ensures that you know exactly what’s in your ta3meyya and what you’re feeding your family. You can always prepare it in big quantities and freeze. All you really need is a good food processor! The rest is easier than you think.
- 2 cup crushed beans (around 500 grams soaked in water for 12 hours) - فول مدشوش
- 1 bunch leek - كرات
- 1 bunch parsley - بقدونس
- 2 medium spring onion - بصلة خضراء
- 2 large garlic cloves - فصوص ثوم
- 1 teaspoon dried coriander - كسبرة جافة
- 1 teaspoon salt - ملح
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder (if you're not frying on the same day) - باكينج باودر
Step by step
- Place the soaked beans in a sieve to get rid of the excess water and to dry thoroughly.
- Pulse the beans in a food processor until broken up into crumbs then add the rest of the ingredients: leeks, parsley (without the long stems), spring onions, garlic, salt and coriander.
- Continue to pulse until well combined into a smooth green ta3meyya dough.
- To serve immediately: fry on both sides until golden and crispy. To keep for later: divide the dough into bags and freeze.
- If you won't fry the dough on the same day, add a little baking powder to the defrosted dough before frying so it keeps it puffiness.
Best Winter Treat: Gingerbread Men
Just in time for the holidays... Baking gingerbread men is one of the best ways to enjoy the...
Savoury Qatayef with Sun-Dried Tomatoes & Cheese
Sun-dried tomatoes and cheese are a match made in heaven! Stuffing our traditional Qatayef with...
Peanut Butter & Coloured Peppers Baladi Wrap
The sweetness of coloured peppers with the saltines of this guiltfree all natural peanut butter...
Dried Fruits Crumble
Here is a Dried Fruits Crumble that can be served as dessert with ice cream, a brunch dish, a winter warmer or an addition to your yoghurt. It is infused with tea, preferably Earl Grey, and the nutty crumble topping spiced with cinnamon. It is a great dish for Ramadan Sohour as well where we […]
Green Falafel Omelette
Falafel Omelette is an easy, nutritious and delicious breakfast/ brunch idea for those who want a filling healthy meal without the bread. This is a childhood recipe and it’s so close to my heart because I learned it from my grandmother. I use homemade Falafel Dough (Ta3meyya) that I prepare and freeze in batches because I […]
Traditional Beef & Vegetables Soup
This traditional Beef & Vegetables Soup is not only colourful and delicious, butt it’s also nutrient-dense and a great choice for strong immunity. It’s all you need on cold winter days and when you’re feeling under the weather. It also makes a great Ramadan soup, and can be extra filling with added freekeh just like […]
Chicken Liver with Spinach & Chickpeas
This Chicken Liver with Spinach is a one pot main dish prepared in less than 45 minutes yet so good and hearty. It is the sort of dish that brings the family together over a nutritious meal and leaves everyone feeling great after. At CairoCooking, we are all about one pot, easy, nutritious and oh […]