Zesty Orange Shrimps with Apples & Peas Purée
By Nour Bahgat • February 8, 2016
This recipe is an entry to #MyBestDish cooking competition with Easy-Pan.com.
This is my own recipe. I created it as I love to pair the zesty flavors with shrimps giving them a lift and a refreshing taste. The peas purée is a unique dip for the zesty shrimps. It also adds a vibrant green color to the dish making it look even prettier! The round apple slices give a nice crunch and flavor that compliments all the flavors. Enjoy this creative recipe and happy cooking!
- 1 cup basmati rice - أرز بسمتي
- 1/2 kg shrimp (medium-size & tail on) - جمبري
- 3 tablespoon coriander (chopped) - كزبرة
- 1/2 kg peas (frozen) - بسلة
- 3-4 tablespoon olive oil - زيت زيتون
- 1 1/2 teaspoon sea salt - ملح البحر
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper corn - فلفل اسود حب
- 4 sprig thyme - زعتر
- 1 orange - برتقالة
- 1/2 apple - تفاحة
- 6 piece cherry tomatoes (cut in half) - طماطم تشيري
- 2 baguette (rounds) - خبز باجيت
- 11/2 cup water - ماء
Step by step
- Preheat your oven broiler. Cut 2 round 1-cm thick slices of baguette. Brush with 1/2 teaspoon olive oil and broil for 3-4 minutes.
- In a medium pot, add basmati rice, water and 1 teaspoon salt. Bring to a boil, cover and let it simmer for 25 minutes.
- In the meantime, rub defrosted shrimps with olive oil, some orange juice, salt and pepper. Heat a pan, add the shrimps and let it cook for 3-4 minutes. Add remaining orange juice to the shrimps while cooking to caramelize the shrimps. Remove from the heat.
- Using a potato grater, slice 4 this round pieces from the largest diameter of the apple.
- Wash frozen peas with hot water. In a food processor, add peas, olive oil, salt & pepper and process until smooth. Transfer the peas purée to a pipping bag.
- Mix chopped cilantro with cooked basmati rice.
- To assemble the dish, spoon rice into flat plate and top it with shrimps. Place an apple slice next to each shrimp. Pipe some peas purée next to the rice ending it with the toasted bread topped with fresh thyme sprigs. Garnish the peas pure with the slices cherry tomatoes.
Leave a comment
2 responses to “Zesty Orange Shrimps with Apples & Peas Purée”
Leave a Reply
Halloumi, Tomato & Arugula Slicers
Such a simple and quick appetiser that looks and tastes good guaranteed! For a more luxurious...
Traditional Foul BelKhalta
الوصفة بالعربي This traditional foul belKhalta is a family favourite recipe, that we...
Baby Banana Ice Cream
From 12 months. Not just because of dairy, but also because extra cold contents are not as easy to...
One Pot Chicken Freekeh
A one-pot meal, this chicken freekeh will be your favourite go to when you want a hearty and delicious meal the whole family will enjoy. You can also serve it in a gathering since it looks lovely in a big dish. Heartwarming, wholesome and delicious the Chicken Freekeh is definitely
Traditional Beef & Vegetables Soup
This traditional Beef & Vegetables Soup is not only colourful and delicious, butt it’s also nutrient-dense and a great choice for strong immunity. It’s all you need on cold winter days and when you’re feeling under the weather. It also makes a great Ramadan soup, and can be extra filling with added freekeh just like […]
Chicken & Chickpea Fatta
Flavourful chicken slices and lemony chickpeas are served over a bed of sumac-seasoned crispy bread and covered with a rich garlicky yoghurt-tahini sauce. This is an easy yet super tasty version of everyone’s favourite fatta. For best results, make sure the yoghurt is at room temperature before assembling the dish. This will ensure that the […]
Chicken Liver with Spinach & Chickpeas
This Chicken Liver with Spinach is a one pot main dish prepared in less than 45 minutes yet so good and hearty. It is the sort of dish that brings the family together over a nutritious meal and leaves everyone feeling great after. At CairoCooking, we are all about one pot, easy, nutritious and oh […]
I love the look of these recipes. Even though I am in UK, I will definitely try them out and share with friends. I’m back in Cairo in April. My favourite city.
Thanks Sam for your lovely comment. Let us know what recipes you try and your feedback! Have a great trip.