Banana & Date Whole-Wheat Cake
By yasmine • May 26, 2015
I came across a lot of baking recipes when I tried to introduce my toddler to sweets without adding processed sugars to her diet! While this recipe inspiration comes from Gwyneth Paltrow’s ‘It’s All Good’ targeting the gluten and dairy intolerant, I decided to make the necessary changes to keep it wholesome and nutritious keeping it delicious for the whole family! I would definitely advise you to wait for fresh black dates season in Egypt (August to October) to do this recipe – it transforms the cake. Otherwise consider using Sajei or Majdoul dates (sold at large supermarkets and some gourmet stores).
- 3 banana (preferably overripe) - موز
- 10 dates (fresh black sweet dates or majdoul dates - pitted cut small) - بلح
- 1/2 cup olive oil - زيت زيتون
- 1/2 cup almond milk - حليب اللوز
- 1/2 cup molasses (OR date syrup / agave syrup / maple syrup) - عسل أسود
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract - خلاصة الفانيليا
- 2 cup whole wheat flour - دقيق القمح الكامل
- 2 tablespoon baking powder - باكينج باودر
- pinch salt - ملح
- pinch nutmeg - جوزة الطيب
- 2 teaspoon cinnamon powder - قرفة
- pumpkin seeds (OR sliced almonds - optional) - بذور اليقطين
Step by step
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Mash the bananas well into a cream, add all the wet ingredients and mix well with a handheld mixer.
- Mix the dry ingredients including the cinnamon and nut meg and add it slowly to the wet ingredients while still mixing.
- Once the dough is ready, place in a 20cm diameter baking tin. You can grease the tin with olive oil to avoid sticking.
- Mix the cut dates and seeds or chopped almonds with one tablespoon wheat flour before you distribute it evenly along the batter in the tin. Using flour prevents the dates from falling to the bottom of the cake making sure it stays in the center of the batter.
- Place it in the middle of the oven for 25-30 minutes. Before serving, while it is still warm, glaze the top with some raw molasses or agave syrup for a nice gloss and a caramelised crust.
Baked Rice Meatballs (Koftet-Rozz)
الوصفه بالعربي Rice meatballs is the kind of food that both, kids as well as grown...
الوصفة بالعربي Hummus falafel is a great variation of the traditional broad bean...
Carpaccio on Parmesan Chips
This is a special dish for those people who appreciate a delicate appetiser. It is crispy, smooth,...
Chocolate Peanut Butter Rice Cakes
Talk about a pick me up snack or a breakfast cookie that keeps you full and satisfies your sugar tooth, this chocolate peanut butter rice cake is what you mean! Crispy, with a creamy naturally sweetened center (banana-sweetened!) and a chocolate cover with a sprinkle of sea salt…delicious and comforting is an understatement. […]
Yummy Oat Pancakes served with dates and bananas, and generously drizzled with a tahini-molasses syrup… this is a healthy and nutritious way to start your day.
Classic 1-2-3-4 Marble Cake
Classic 1-2-3-4 cake is the first cake I learned to bake with my mother. As a child, I really appreciated the fact that the cake name helped me memorise and learn the basic cake proportions by heart: ONE for 1 cup milk and 1 cup butter, TWO for 2 cups sugar, THREE for 3 cups […]
Tahini & Banana Chocolate Muffins
Perfect for our daily chocolate cravings, these (refined-sugar-free) Tahini & Banana Chocolate Muffins are not only moist and rich, but they also carry lots of clean & healthy ingredients inside them. They make the perfect snack for grown-ups and kids alike. This recipe is super easy to prepare, because all the ingredients are simply mixed […]