Cheat Mango & Mint Pavlova
By shahdan • May 24, 2015
Nothing beats a home-made dessert when hosting a dinner party. With our Egyptian big impressive menus, we often find ourselves out of energy and time to prepare an elaborate dessert… When this happens, Pavlova is the answer! All you need is, good vanilla ice cream, store-bought meringue (that’s the cheating part), and your favorite fruits. Pavlova is great with strawberries when it’s strawberry season, and perfect with mangos during the hot summer days. Adding some pomegranate gives it taste, color and texture, while mint completes the dish with a fresh color and aroma.
- 1 box meringue (ready-made on the supermarket shelf, in the bread section) - مارنج
- 1 box vanilla ice cream - أيس كريم فانيليا
- 4 large mangoes - مانجو
- 2 large pomegranate seeds (or frozen berries) - بذور رمان
- 10 leaves mint - نعناع
- 1 tablespoon powdered Sugar - سكر بودرة
Step by step
- Prepare your fruits ahead of time: peel and cut the mangos and put them in a sealed box in the fridge. Add a little sugar on the pomegranate, some mint leaves for a perfect aroma, then cover and put in the fridge.
- Right before serving: scatter the meringue in a large plate. It looks way more interesting when it is scattered in a big serving plate, not in the traditional bowl.
- Scoop the ice cream on the meringue. From experience, people appreciate vanilla ice cream much more than cream.
- Add the mangos on top (the more the merrier), and sprinkle the pomegranate and its juices.
- Finally decorate with more fresh mint leaves and crushed meringue. Serve immediately!
One famous childhood recipe... This is how my grandma used to serve artichokes. It makes a great...
No-Mayo Pasta Salad
Colourful and nutritious, this salad is a joyful meal in a lunch box. With 3 different colours...
Chocolate Peanut Butter Rice Cakes
Talk about a pick me up snack or a breakfast cookie that keeps you full and satisfies your sugar tooth, this chocolate peanut butter rice cake is what you mean! Crispy, with a creamy naturally sweetened center (banana-sweetened!) and a chocolate cover with a sprinkle of sea salt…delicious and comforting is an understatement. […]
These Truffle Potatoes are so easy to prepare yet have bangs of flavor and yumminess. It is a special side dish to your fillet or fish dish. If you cant find baby potatoes, cut large potatoes in large cubes – same size as half baby potatoes. Also, make sure you get a good quality truffle […]
Green Falafel Omelette
Falafel Omelette is an easy, nutritious and delicious breakfast/ brunch idea for those who want a filling healthy meal without the bread. This is a childhood recipe and it’s so close to my heart because I learned it from my grandmother. I use homemade Falafel Dough (Ta3meyya) that I prepare and freeze in batches because I […]
Leeks are a special crop that comes in season in short intervals. It is commonly used in our Falafel but there are so many other ways to enjoy its freshness and uniqueness, like this Leek & Potato Soup. This recipe can be ready in 30 minutes, and a perfect side dish to all protein.